Angelfish not eating...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackistry

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Would appreciate any suggestions here...

50 gal tank, had 7 fish originally in tank... my boys had a birthday and received 20 new fish. Yikes! That was about a week ago. Only lost one. Now my angelfish, who's several years old, is not eating. It's been two days since I've not seen her eat? I looked at her lastnight, but don't see any evidence of infection. ANy ideas?

Thank you...

WHAT?? Please elaborate on what is going on in the tank! How many fish total are in the tank and what kinds? What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrites)? Have you noticed anyone picking on the angelfish?

Ok..

Originally I had 1 angelfish, 2 catfish and 4 zebras. Now I have 2 angelfish, 2 catfish, 2 plecos, 6 neons, 5 red-eye tetras and 5 silver tetras.

I don't have a clue as what the amine concentrations are... guess I need to find out. I just walked in my door and one of my angelfish died (one of the new ones). It looks like on it's tail, there are some "nibble" marks.

Looks like I need to get an amine test kit???

Thanks for the quick reply Menagerie...

Get a master test kit...

ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, hardness, etc tests

DON'T get one of those "7 in 1 Strip" test kits... they are no good.

shouldn't run you more than $20 and it will solve lots of your problems, and give you specific info to give to members on here when you have questions.

Have you seen any aggression among the fish? Are the tetras ganging up? Or does there seem to be a dominant angel?

Ugh. Would I be correct in assuming the new fish were not quarantined before going into your tank with your babies? I fear the new fish brought disease along with them, and you are seeing the results. What disease is hard to say without specific symptoms, although columnaris has been known to kill very quickly and could be a culprit. The tail "nibbles" might actually be finrot, which is a sign of columnaris.

Sorry I haven't gotten back... well, I believe the tank has finally settled down. I did have a case of finrot. Tested water, got it all stabilized. Unfortunately, I've lost some fish... always a bummer... but I've learned quite a bit... ALWAYS quarantine new fish!!! And don't add 20 new fish at one time...duh!

ANyway, thanks to all who helped with info... I appreciate it!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom