Angelfish seems healthy but refuses to eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tank: I have a 4yr old, 55gal SA cichlid/tropical schooling community tank = angelfish, Bolivian & German rams, tetras, cory cats, tiger barbs, and 1 grumpy BN pleco. At present my parameters are in good shape: temp 78, ammonia & nitrite 0, and nitrate less than 20.

Backstory
: For the last several years I've been having problems with my cichlids getting internal parasites (spitting out food, stringy white feces, sometimes developing a sunken belly). Even with quarantining new fish, this still seemed to come up at least twice a year. I lost a juvenile angelfish several weeks ago who'd had these symptoms and in responses treated the whole tank with four doses of Tetra Parasite Guard.

Present problem: Five days ago, I noticed that my angelfish Jekyll was either spitting out his food or refusing to eat entirely. He's a bit more reclusive than usual but aside from this he appears to be healthy - good color, fins in good shape, no stringy poo, comes to the front when I approach & up to the top when I open the lid, etc. I've tried feeding Tetra Crisps (Monday), New Life Spectrum (Wednesday), and frozen brine shrimp (today), but he hasn't eaten any of it.

Based on past history I'd guess this is also an internal parasite though he's not showing the usual signs, which makes me wonder if maybe I've just noticed it earlier or if there's another problem.

Anybody have any suggestions on what I can do, either for this little guy or to clear-up the long-term parasite problems?

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom