Angelfish with bad pectoral fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wayno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My angelfish has stopped moving it's fin and has a strange growth around it. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be and how to cure it? I have attached a picture. Thank you.

Attachments

• image-4144962060.jpg
    image-4144962060.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 101
  • image-1794692977.jpg
    image-1794692977.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 107
could you get a better pic? i would guess it's some sort of nip that's gotten infected. what are your water parameters, tank size, and stocking on this tank?

Hi I've tried to get a better one but this website reduces the file size and so downgrades the image quality. The water was tested a week ago and the results were very good. Tank is 110L and I've attached pic of what's in the tank.

Attachments

• image-2770314204.jpg
    image-2770314204.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 86
  • image-1498524155.jpg
    image-1498524155.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1053622853.jpg
    image-1053622853.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 90
great shots! thank you, but i need specifics... how many clown loaches, pristella tetras, etc. you have in the tank you know? i also need the exact water parameters as well as in so and so ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in order to really be able to help. however, i can already tell that you're going to need a bigger tank with those loaches ;)

blackmolly said:
great shots! thank you, but i need specifics... how many clown loaches, pristella tetras, etc. you have in the tank you know? i also need the exact water parameters as well as in so and so ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in order to really be able to help. however, i can already tell that you're going to need a bigger tank with those loaches ;)

There are 3 clowns, 2 Burmese loaches. 3 redish coloured tetra, 4 rummy nose tetra, 2 of the small yellow fish 4 of the orange and black tail fish. And 2 ghost and 6 blue tetra that were only added yesterday. Angel had this issue before they arrived. Use to be 4 black spots on his fin. Everything was spot on apart from high algae. What size do the loaches require?

i'd go 125... but they can live comfortably for a while in a 55-75. you may want to consider a rehome if you can't upgrade. as for the angel, i'd guess it was one of the tetra's that aren't in proper schools. they need groups of 6 or more as they tend to get nippy when kept in lower numbers. for treatment of this guy, i'd suggest a separate QT tank dosing with melafix, or keep the fish in the main tank and do daily 50% water changes. also, i highly suggest going out and getting a test kit such as the API master kit, so you can test your own water. :)

Thanks for you help they should be ok for a while in my 110l tank then. Well some were in schools of at least 6 but the angelfish in question enjoyed eating them! I'll continue dosing melafix. I buy pure water from my fish shop and they also test my water.

you really aught to buy a test kit either way. they really won't fit in that tank for long... i'd be sure to upgrade within a years time to AT LEAST a 55 gallon. keep in mind, not only is that tank stocked with fish that will get too large, but you also are overstocked in terms of smaller fish as well.

Please just clarify, blackmolly is talking GALLONS where wayno is talking LITRES. Big difference.

Back
Top Bottom