Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2005, 05:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Angelfish with dark sunken spots behind his eyes.

In the last few days one of my angelfish has developed dark, slightly sunken spots behind his eyes. The spots are about the same size as his eyes.

Any one know what the problem might be?

Old 11-18-2005, 06:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
We need a bit more info if possible, what are your water parameters, how long has the tank been set up? What are the other tankmates? What if any, other symptoms have you noticed. Anything new added to the tank?

-----------
Site Administrator
Old 11-18-2005, 06:51 PM   #3

Tank parameters: 79 degrees, 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 15ppm nitrate, 7.6 ph.

The tank has been set up for about 4 months. I haven't added anything new to the tank for about 2 months.

The angelfish isn't acting unual or anything like that.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If he is still eating, breathing and swimming normally, I'd keep an eye on him and watch closely. Your parameters seem to be quite good so that isn't it. It may be a natural colorization change, I honestly don't know.

-----------
Site Administrator
Old 11-18-2005, 09:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagz
I honestly don't know.
Really? Then why did you even offer "advice?" You're militant about knowing everybody's water parameters, but never add anything useful if the parameters check out. Do you have ANY idea what sunken spots indicate?

Old 11-18-2005, 09:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I asked about the water parameters as skin discolorations are often caused by water (ammonia) poisioning. When that wasn't the case I wasn't afraid to admit that was the extent of my knowledge in my area. If you have a problem with that, too bad. I offered my suggestion that it might be a natural color change. Angelfish do go through some skin color changes, there was even a thread about it recently. Without a pic it would be difficult to hazard a guess.

Take the time to read my posts, I have offered answers on more than water parameters, on many occasions, but water quality is the cause of a lot of problems in fish.

-----------
Site Administrator
Old 11-18-2005, 10:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
The first thing you need to know, to diagnose a problem, if there is no obvious sign of diseaese is the parameters of a tank?

If the parameters are good and the fish is acting normally. Then what better advice could be offered than to to observe the fish? No sense willy nilly treating a tank if there may not be a problem.

Zagz knows more about keeping fish than very few people I know. She goes out of her way to help everyone.

just my thoughts

Rich
Old 11-18-2005, 10:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks Rich. It is due to Rich and the many many other helpful and knowledgable people on AA that have taught me everything I know about fishkeeping at all. This site is a wealth of information and more importantly, support. The members of AA are there to be supportive and informative, even when there is nothing they can do. I don't know everything and continue to learn from the members here. Without AA, I would still have a betta in a 5gal tank, never do water changes and have fish die all the time. Of course they have also fed into my MTS, LOL, and have even got me thinking about an indoor pond.

-----------
Site Administrator
Old 11-18-2005, 11:45 PM   #9

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 11-19-2005, 09:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Angelfish do go through some skin color changes
We're talking about dark, sunken depressions, not color changes. Am I the only one who reads carefully?

Old 11-19-2005, 10:10 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

A darkened area is a skin discoloration.

Perhaps it would be more helpful if you offered advise rather than posting about nothing. There are members on here including myself that would rather spend their time trying to help others than bother getting into sad, pathetic, petty tiffs.

-----------
Site Administrator
Old 11-19-2005, 10:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I forgot to ask you what size tank you had? I did some searching and have found nothing specific to dark depressions, only references to bad water parameters, of which yours are good, and to tank size causing illnesses. Several references can be found about black spots but I don't know without a pic if this is what your angel has, black spot disease generally doesn't involve sunken areas. Is there any chance you could post a pic? I spent some time going through sites to find a link that might have a pic similar to what you are describing and couldn't find any based on what you have described. I will pm another member that is quite knowledgable about angelfish and see if he can offer help.

-----------
Site Administrator
Old 11-19-2005, 12:56 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technics
Quote:
Angelfish do go through some skin color changes
We're talking about dark, sunken depressions, not color changes. Am I the only one who reads carefully?
There is absolutely no reason to criticize a member for trying to offer help. What I have noticed is that you have offered none so far.

Either post to help others or don't post at all.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:35 PM   #14

Yawn.

Old 11-19-2005, 01:38 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Actually, your advice does not help. Sorry for causing you so much trouble.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:47 PM   #16

That's OK, that's why it's just advice.

My point is, especially in this section when fishes' lives are on the line, don't try to help by regurgitating the same 'ol same 'ol because you've read it elsewhere. This section needs people who can make DEFINITIVE statements and instructions. All I ever see around here is "Ok, what's your water params? Oh they're good. I have no clue then" a LOT.

Old 11-19-2005, 01:51 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
technics...please show me where in this thread you have offered advice valid to question at hand? And no, critisizing other people's advice does not count.

Here is the question again.
Quote:
In the last few days one of my angelfish has developed dark, slightly sunken spots behind his eyes. The spots are about the same size as his eyes.

Any one know what the problem might be?
From here on out, if this question is not directly answered or asked specific questions about, it will be locked and one fish keeper will still be left with the same question because certain people can't keep their mouths shut.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:03 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technics
Yawn.
That is not helping anyone at all. Just thought you should know.

Tags
angel, angelfish, eyes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com