Angelfish with white spots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KieranKD

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I just bought a juvenile angelfish and I didn't notice he had this until the morning after (today); I am not very knowledge on fish diseases but I am worried this is ich. I'm asking because the dots look bigger than pictures on google and I don't want to dose for ich if it's something different. Can anyone advice what they think this is and any medication recommendations? Thank you.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 47
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 291
In the pics, it does look like ich. I use hikari ich-x and korden rid ich plus. Have had good luck with both. I think they have similar/ same ingredients. Some ppl use the temp and salt method, i do raise the temp, but I've never had good luck curing ich with salt

If it's a fungus, and not ich, both of those meds work well on that too

Have you found that either of those meds stain your decor/acrylic? I don't really mind taking out my decor temporarily but I don't want stained glass lol

This is why quarantining new fish, and having a hospital tank is super important.

I went through so many illnesses my first year of the hobby,

(I basically made every mistake my first year of the hobby)

But I will never add another fish without a week of QT, and I will always keep a hospital tank ready to go.

Dosing 10g with medication is a hell of a lot cheaper than 75g

Have you found that either of those meds stain your decor/acrylic? I don't really mind taking out my decor temporarily but I don't want stained glass lol

Where it’s a fungus, it would be a good idea to take out and clean whatever you can without effecting your beneficial bacteria.

This is why quarantining new fish, and having a hospital tank is super important.

I went through so many illnesses my first year of the hobby,

(I basically made every mistake my first year of the hobby)

But I will never add another fish without a week of QT, and I will always keep a hospital tank ready to go.

Dosing 10g with medication is a hell of a lot cheaper than 75g
I made the same mistakes. I qt all fish and pre treat now, regardless of where I get them. I spent alot of money treating a 100g African cichlids tank when a qt would have been much cheaper like you said

Many fish stores that I've seen, (and not just the big box stores) sell fish with ich or other illnesses. If a fish store doesn't have at least one tank marked NFS due to treating them, i don't buy there. Illness is part of the hobby, i don't expect all fish to be perfect, but I'd dang sure rather see that they treat ill fish occasionally than sell them all as is

General cure, ich x and prazi pro with epsom salt. Not all at once. I do about 5 days of each with a water change in between the next treatment. Haven't moved anything over to my tanks in a long time

General cure, ich x and prazi pro with epsom salt. Not all at once. I do about 5 days of each with a water change in between the next treatment. Haven't moved anything over to my tanks in a long time

I’ve noticed that general cure, ive been using Melafix mostly, it’s a good one for helping settle the fish too. That Melalueca seems to like mellow out the fish, I always see their behavior change a little when I add it. But it isn’t really a medication, more like a topical ointment.

Have you had any issues pre-treating like that? Usually when I QT, I just watch them for a week, and keep my eyes out for flashing or spots, I keep just one piece of drift wood in there so they have something to flash on.

I’m typically only thinking about bacteria. If I get a fish with fungus from somewhere.... that’s just.... no.

I have lots of melafix and pimafix, I forgot I often add that with the general cure. Some don't like it, I've never had an issue with it tho. Api says you can use them in conjunction. This routine i have will treat them for fungus, ich, flukes, worms and bacteria. All my display tanks are 75 and up so like you said, it's expensive to treat in them

Oh... no, never had an issue. Haven't lost any fish. I even had a female peacock in my 30g qt tank until she got rehomed, and she went thru the process with a couple of c/a cichlids I bought, and came out fine

It has been 48 hours since I first noticed the white spots and they have not spread to other fish, fallen off or grown in number. Some appear to be raised while others are not. From my understanding Ich spreads fast and my temps have been at 78-80 since noticing it. Should it not have spread further by now? The angel with the spots isn't scratching itself or acting differently, it's eaten readily since day 1.

From what I know in 48 hours in these temps ich would be absolutely rampant and covering all of the other fish in the tank. Do you guys still think it could be ich if it hasn't spread at all?

Now that I've zoomed in, and it hasn't spread, maybe it's not. Some of the spots look oblong, I didn't notice that before. Could just be speckling. I'd monitor for another 24 hours. You should see signs if it is, ie flashing, gasping, etc

Now that I've zoomed in, and it hasn't spread, maybe it's not. Some of the spots look oblong, I didn't notice that before. Could just be speckling. I'd monitor for another 24 hours. You should see signs if it is, ie flashing, gasping, etc

Thank you and everyone else for their advice. I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on them; I've definitely learned my lesson about quartines. but hey, that's life. Live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom