Anglefish scales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rossi94

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my angelfish"s scales looks almost chipped and I notice it looks like it's hanging on? Is this going to create problems? What would this come from? Another angel attacking it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I also notice that your fish's fin also has been nipped so the "chip" is probably caused by another fish. It shouldn't be an issue but you need to keep an eye on them. IF you see too much aggression, you would be wise to separate the Angels unless you are trying to breed them. IF you see any signs of infections ( torn fins is not infection) such as red streaks or thick white or fuzzy white appearance, I would use an antibiotic on the fish in a hospital tank setup.

Hope this helps (y)

her fin is torn too, so I assume she is being picked on. How many angels do you have and what size is your tank?

Currently I have about 35 Angels of different sizes and ages and about 210 tanks :D FYI: I'm an Angel breeder :brows:
You can see some of my fish in the albums on my profile and my current thread " Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery "
Perfect Angels are not the easiest thing to have when having multiple Angels in a tank. They live in a hierarchy society so there will always be someone picking on someone less dominant. That's just the way it goes. Unless the fish get really hurt or infection sets in, there is no need to panic about the ripped fins or chipped scales. Proper maintenance and clean water should prevent any infections.

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks! And she is also a he, this guy paired up with one of my other Angels twice, I recently treated the tank for ice so they haven't spawned in about 1-2 weeks, I have 6 Angels in a 75g.( got them all at the same time about a quarter or medium size)!

Thanks! And she is also a he, this guy paired up with one of my other Angels twice, I recently treated the tank for ice so they haven't spawned in about 1-2 weeks, I have 6 Angels in a 75g.( got them all at the same time about a quarter or medium size)!

The average time between spawns with no intervention is about 7-10 days so I'm not sure icing the fish did much to stop the process. That's also not the best way as the fluctuating temps can stress out the fish which will open them up for illnesses. The best way to stop spawning is to separate the pair.

If you meant that you treated the tank for ICK, that's a sign for you that the fish ARE in fact stressed out by something ( probably the pair's desire for privacy) and you should really consider either removing the pair to their own tank, dividing them off by themselves in their current tank or moving the other fish out. It's not going to get better with time and you risk injury and loss of the other fish.

Hope this helps (y)

Yes sorry I meant ick, what size tank is appropriate for the 2 spawning?

Yes sorry I meant ick, what size tank is appropriate for the 2 spawning?

I had a feeling, which was why I addressed both issues ;)

Depending on the size of the fish, I use either 10 gal tanks, 20 highs or 29 gals. The bigger the fish, the larger the tank they should be in. (y)

Hey Andy! I have a ten gallon that isn't in use right now and a divider that I can use for the tank. Just wondering what u think would be better. I once seperated them when they spawned and she laid eggs on the intake for the filter, another time on a boat I have in the tank. Do you suggest separating the tank?(how much of a 75) or moving them to a 10g?

Here is a picture of their sizes . Male orange female black ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417814267.840868.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417814300.188135.jpg
Ps they seem to be preparing the one side of the tank already and shooing the other Angels

Either should work. I can't tell how big they are from your pictures so you have to decide if they are too big for the 10 gal. Either way, the reason they spawned on those objects is because there was no better choices at that time. Breeders usually use slate pieces angled against the glass for them to spawn on. ( See here Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Andy Sager's Album: New Angelfish - Picture )
You can also use clay/ terra cotta pots or larger diameter PVC pipe as spawning sites for them as well. Some people will use large leafed plants like Amazon Swords as these are a more natural place the wild fish use. Personally, I use slate or red shale because I artificially hatch the eggs and these rocks can be shaped to fit into the jars or smaller tanks I use.
If you do decide to separate the main tank, the fish seem to be telling you how much space they need. Whatever distance they are keeping the other fish away from them is where the divider should go. FYI: I just separated a 30 gal tank in half. 1 pair on one side and 3 single breeders on the other. The pair spawned and the other fish just went about their business.

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks I seperated the tank and they are spawning eggs on the filter.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417917144.811659.jpg

Good luck with them. If you have any questions, there is a thread in this breeding forum titled " Wigglers at last!!!" which has just about everything you need to know and do when it comes to breeding and raising Angelfish fry. (y)

Back
Top Bottom