Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-29-2004, 05:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

animal accesories

is there such thing as a freshwater cleaning shrimp or clam/oyster

Old 09-29-2004, 05:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to bunebop
I know there's a lot of different kind of shrimps out there, I've only had experience w/ ghost shrimp. Someone else would prolly know a lot more than me though.

This site has a couple of the freshwater shrimp on it: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...&TopCatId=1075

I have no idea how easy any of em are to get ahold of though. I know ghost shrimp are usually used as feeders, so they're typically like 10-20 cents and most stores have tons of em. I've never heard of a freshwater clam/oyster, but like I said, I'm by no means an expert or anything close to it...

~55 galFW ~6 zebra danios (I think, haven't seen some in a while), ~7 black skirt tetras, 1 clown pleco, 1 cory cat, 3 pit bull plecos, 1 baby guppy in a breeders net, and 1 red minor tetra

I also have a couple other tanks w/o fish as right now I do not have the room/time and there is a chance of moving in the "near" future so I don't want to get more fish for them. I'm downsizing for the moment.
bunebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to deeni0z
Check your LFS. Maybe TankGirl (who's also from VA) can point you to some LFS in your area that do special orders. there are some clams that "burrow" into the sand and aerate it. There are cleaning shrimp for fw! They usually just go around the tank and eat scraps/algae. www.azgardens.com has some but their shipping is expensive.
And the stars look very different today
deeni0z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:37 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

There are lots of FW shrimp. It really depends on what you want them to do. There are some that specialize in algae and some that just roam around looking cool and eating this and that, like ghost shrimp.

I keep Amano shrimp and cherry shrimp and they do eat algae, but not to the point where they are "required" for keeping a tank clean. They have their own impact on the bioload (greater than you think!) and are often consumed by the tank inhabitants.

Snails will eat algae, but I find they basically leave trails in the algae, rather than removing it to the point where you don't have to scrub it. These are both cool animals that make our tanks more interesting, but I don't think they fulfill the same role that they do in a SW setup.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com