Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2004, 11:01 AM   #1
Damien

Another floating fish..

Hey everyone,
I'm new to this site and am in need of advice. I have a small tank with platties and have had them for almost 2 years now. They've always been very healthy, breeding often, no problems etc..
Only a few days ago, my favourite and oldest platty, the mother of the tank has started to have trouble swimming. She tries to swim but it seems like something in her gut keeps flipping her upside down. She seems to be quite distressed and was constantly trying to straighten herself up, but to no avail. It has now come to stage where she is worn out and just floats belly up in the corner or trapped between a rock. All the other fish in the tank are fine and still very healthy.
I've searched for other posts about this, but just wanted some more advice. Do you think its the swim bladder and do you think i should try peas??
I know it's only a platty (i have a large cichlid tank too) but i seem to be attatched to this certain platty! Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know nothing about fresh water, but I thought I would speed up the process for someone who knows what there talking about

Can you give some info on your tank? (size, water paramiteres, how long has it been set up, ect..ect..)

PS. Sorry to hear about your fish.

Old 06-28-2004, 07:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

First of all welcome to Aquarium Advice.

Is your platy a Red Wagtail Platy? If it is, your platy might be getting to its maximum life expectancy. The average lifespan is only like 3-4years. If it isn't this, it'll probably be your water parameters. Please post so we can help
Old 06-29-2004, 01:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

[center:946fa417a1] Welcome to AA, Damien! [/center:946fa417a1]
Quote:
She seems to be quite distressed and was constantly trying to straighten herself up, but to no avail. It has now come to stage where she is worn out and just floats belly up in the corner or trapped between a rock. All the other fish in the tank are fine and still very healthy.
I've searched for other posts about this, but just wanted some more advice. Do you think its the swim bladder and do you think i should try peas??
My gut feeling is there is a problem with the swimbladder. She is also an elderly fish I am sorry to say. Just as with people various systems start to break down as fish age. Take comfort in knowing you gave this platty great care during her life and keep her as comfortable as you can.
I highly recommend peas once a week for any fish that will eat them. When it's pea night at my house, that's all the fish get for the night. My community tank, Mbuna cichlids, and Mollies love them. I use frozen peas, microwave them, peel them and serve!

Since you are new to the board, I will also ask the standard Qs~
What size tank?
What/how many fish are in there?
Water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp, pH)?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 07:40 PM   #5

old age can afect fish organs. it could have swimbladder???
Old 07-06-2004, 10:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree, it sounds like swimbladder. Swimbladder is caused by a bacterial infection from breeding, netting, or poor water quality. You said that you breed platies so it sounds right. To treat swimbladder, put the fish in a shallow tank just a few inches above the top of it, and give it antibiotics.

----29 gal with Emperor 280- 2 longfin zebra danios, 3 cories(albino-Speedy, 2 unknown), upside down catfish, 3 neons, 4 glow lights, blue gourami, Female betta, male betta (Otis), small pearl gourami, 2 flying foxes

----20 gal with Penguin 170 Filter- 2 angels

----10 gal-Leaf fish, clawed frog

----5 gal eclipse hex-betta, 2 young mollies

----5 gal-Fantail Betta

----2.5 gal Betta

----3 other Bettas
cheezysquirrelz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floating

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com