Another ich issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndI3kAY

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've done everything! Tried the meds, the salt treatment, frequent water changes and the higher temp water but nothing is working! Its been over 2 weeks and my fish still has white spots. Other than the spots he's doing fine, swimming eating etc. any more suggestions?

Welcome to AA!!! What type of fish? What are your water parameters? How long did you treat with meds? How long did you treat with heat & what temp? How did you treat with salt (%) and for how long? I suspect the issue here is if its only been two weeks, you have yet to complete a full treatment using any one method so ich is still issue. Some more info will help!

Luckily this has only affected my 10 gallon glofish tank, I have a test kit (API Master) and all my numbers are ok, ammonia a little high, but I have been doing daily water changes. The medication I used for about 3 days, and did not see any improvement, fish were still listless and had even more spots. So I started increasing the temperature gradually, it is now at 79 degrees and added salt approx. 6 grams per gallon.

I'm just relieved that this is not happening to my 40 gallon tank!

Whats a 'little high' for ammonia?

Just continue to gradually increase the temp to 86-88f. Add some extra aeration because warm water holds less oxygen. Do water changes every other to every day (depending on parameters) along with gravel vacs. Maintain this for one week AFTER the last spot gone then gradually reduce the temp back to normal. Nothing else needed. The ich may become worse before it starts to improve so dont panic!

Just like Jlk said get your temp to 86f and continue water changes. Just make sure your vacuuming your substrate also. All you need is heat and maintenance. The meds are just a cash grab. It'll take close to two weeks to clear it up but this is the safest and best way to rid of ich. An air bubbler helps also.

Back
Top Bottom