another new pleco. parasite med?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blucat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am getting a bristlenose pleco in about half an hour.
I have my QT tank except that the QT filter has only been in my main tank for about 3-4 days now. I will fill my QT tank with my main tank water and use the filter, except I am afraid that the bacteria isn't established on my filter yet and that the QT tank will cycle with an ammonia spike!

what can I do? my other removable filters in my tank is just a powerhead

do you have time to get some Stability or bio-spira? Otherwise, just keep up on the water changes if you detect a raise in amonia at all.

I'm Back! I got the bristlenose pleco! It is so cute, a baby little thing, only an inch long. so i guess i have to be really careful about how it is acclimated and to make sure it survives. However, the lfs man said i would get it on sale for $3.50 only today but the lfs woman there today insisted on selling full price, $5.00 :evil:

Any advice on to how I should go about acclimating it?

So far, the BN pleco has been 5 minutes floating bag with bag closed. 5 minutes floating bag with bag open.

hey,

Nice pleco. Really cute, those guys rule. I had a couple but i had to give them up.

Nice pic hope ur little guy brings u lots of joy! :lol:

uh oh, looks like there is a possibility that the bottom of my QT is leaking, or maybe i had spilt water under before.... :(

How large is your QT tank blucat? If the fish is only 1 inch, and the tank is at least 10 gallons you shouldn't have a problem. Baby BNs love broccoli stem. :wink:

He is soo cute and hes really tiny. He is running around the place, resting for a fewminutes in each spot. I think he likes the smoothness of th glass as it is a bare bottom. I will feed him tomorrow night.

I put a thin round slice in the micro wave for 15 - 20 seconds., let cool and drop in the tank

I know there are many bn pleco species, is anyone able to pick the scientific name or LPlate?

Well I stuck the brocooli slice on the botom of the tank with a suction cap, so how to coax the pleco to eat it?

Plecos are nocturnal and typically feed at night. Sorry Blucat, I should have mentioned that before. I feed mine just before turning the lights out.

I don't know the exact species you have, but it is an Ancistrus. :wink:

sorry if i am going on a bit but i am just so much fascinated by my new baby bn pleco! Thanks for all your advice Brian, really appreciate it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I see what you mean by nocturnal! I see very well... The little'un was really boring and just sat behind the filter all day, but now it is night here and the tank and house has darkened and yes he has perked up. (the Qt tank has no lighting) he hasn't touched the food but i will check tomorro morn. He has jsut been racing all around the perimeter of the tank, hes so cute. then he rapidly dashes to the surface and dashes all the way back down to the bottom of the tank behind the filter, lightning quick! :eek: :eek: :eek:

.....and he poops alot for a little fish 8O

ah now he is doing another tank round.

Those Bristlenose plecos are cool. they sell them at my local LFS i might get one since they only get 4-5 inches long. Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom