ANOTHER problem!! discus sore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paytertot

Aquarium Advice Addict
My discus has a large nasty sore on his side. Help!
P.s. I know he's stunted looking, he was a rescue x.x

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120627_204029.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120627_204029.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 90
  • ForumRunner_20120627_204109.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120627_204109.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 106
Hmmm... is if fuzzy? It's kind of big, so I am thinking it may be a bacterial infection, perhaps from a wound or something.
Are you still treating the tank with salt? What are your parameters?

No I only used one dose of the salt. I haven't tested yet. And no its not fuzzy, it looks more like when you peel from a sunburn.

Well, I am still guessing bacterial infection. I suggest doing more salt. Any chance you can quarantine him, or will your dad still not let you? In general, clean water and salt are often enough for stopping an infection, but since this seems to have popped up fast, time will tell how aggressive the issue is. If it seems to get worse with the salt, furan 2 might be your next step. That will treat both gram positive and negative bacteria. But, I don't think you should medicate the whole tank.

No I don't have a qt tank. And honestly yesterday I could see something there but it was just a spot that was barely pink looking with a white spot in the middle. I thought it was something the salt would get rid if. So if I use salt, I should use aquarium salt right?

You can use any salt without additives. Epsome salt, kosher salt, sea salt are all fine, just make sure there is no iodine. If you have aquarium salt, then go ahead and use it. For future reference, getting epsom salt or kosher salt is cheaper than aquarium salt usually. But, if aquarium salt is what you have, then use what you have. :)

I would opt for aq salt. Sodium chloride (aq, kosher, sea or rock salt) is not the same thing as Epsom salt which is magnesium sulfate. Two different creatures. I have to agree that this looks like a bacterial infection & if it appeared this quickly, it should be treated before it becomes more serious.

I would opt for aq salt. Sodium chloride (aq, kosher, sea or rock salt) is not the same thing as Epsom salt which is magnesium sulfate. Two different creatures. I have to agree that this looks like a bacterial infection & if it appeared this quickly, it should be treated before it becomes more serious.

Thanks for clarifying that. :) I should have mentioned that. I have been told epsom still will work on infections, but sodium chloride is typically preferred.

Well I have some sea salt.. as long as its pure sea salt, I can use that? If so, that's what ill do.

Sea salt is fine- just read ingredients first! I have 'pure' sea salt in my kitchen & it has anti-caking agents in it (worse than iodine). Aq salt is just fine if you have it.

jlk said:
Sea salt is fine- just read ingredients first! I have 'pure' sea salt in my kitchen & it has anti-caking agents in it (worse than iodine). Aq salt is just fine if you have it.

No I don't have any but I can buy some. I asked originally because I didn't know if that's what I should be using. Under ingredients the label just says Mediterranean sea salt.

paytertot said:
My discus has a large nasty sore on his side. Help!
P.s. I know he's stunted looking, he was a rescue x.x

...ouch. I'm sorry you have to deal with it. Looks painful :(

Yea he was my favorite :'( obviously, considering he was my avatar. My dads gunna kill me :/ here's some pics of him when I was scooping him out. I guess it worked pretty fast. Do you think it could be spreading to my other fish as we speak?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120628_173711.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120628_173711.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 47
  • ForumRunner_20120628_173740.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120628_173740.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 42
Not likely, but that depends on exactly what it was. Keep an eye on the others for signs of redness or sores, but I wouldn't it's a contagious issue.
Also, you may want to do an extra pwc to keep the params nice.

absolutangel04 said:
Not likely, but that depends on exactly what it was. Keep an eye on the others for signs of redness or sores, but I wouldn't it's a contagious issue.
Also, you may want to do an extra pwc to keep the params nice.

Thanks. I did another pwc earlier. Just to make sure all the salt was gone and the water was fresh.

Back
Top Bottom