Anti white spot help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StagPursey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi eveyone
so my fish have white spot so i've bought some interpet Anti white spot treatment, but the instructions are a little unclear its says to 'remove carbon and zeolite filter media from the aquarium'
now i have a marina slim s10 filter with one carbon cartridge and one zeolite cartridge and the instructions would seem to imply that i need to remove them, but won't this kill all of my good bacteria?
Please help quickly :)

StagPursey said:
Hi eveyone
so my fish have white spot so i've bought some interpet Anti white spot treatment, but the instructions are a little unclear its says to 'remove carbon and zeolite filter media from the aquarium'
now i have a marina slim s10 filter with one carbon cartridge and one zeolite cartridge and the instructions would seem to imply that i need to remove them, but won't this kill all of my good bacteria?
Please help quickly :)

What kinda fish do u have? Medication isn't necessary to fix ich. But carbon needs to be removed because they remove medication, no sure about zeolites, probably does the same thing. Y why are u using zeolites? Are u trying to remove ammonia? is ur tank cycles? U will lose good bacteria removing them. Do u have a bio-media in Ur filter? Personally I would stop using carbon all together they ain't necessary, remove it and replace it with extra sponge of bio-media.

So let me know what fish u have, is Ur tank cycled and what other media do u have in Ur filter!

um the infected fish are my 7 cardinal tetras, i also have one male betta, two peppered cories and 3 amano shrimp. My tank is cycled and the reason i'm using zeolites is because when i bought my tank it came with one carbon cartridge and one zeolite cartridge :) other media? sorry im totally new to all this, in my filter i have one carbon cartridge and one zeolite cartridge.

StagPursey said:
um the infected fish are my 7 cardinal tetras, i also have one male betta, two peppered cories and 3 amano shrimp. My tank is cycled and the reason i'm using zeolites is because when i bought my tank it came with one carbon cartridge and one zeolite cartridge :) other media? sorry im totally new to all this, in my filter i have one carbon cartridge and one zeolite cartridge.

Oo wow u have no sponges or bio-media? I recommend u buy some. And replace one at a time. E.g. Remove the carbon first leave the zeolites and replace it with the sponge, leave it at that for about 2 weeks then replace the zeolite with bio-media. And only replace the sponge and bio-media when it's falling apart.

And as for treatment, I was goin to suggest salt and heat treatment. But u have cory and they don't do well with salt. Are u able to remove the Cory while doin this treatment?

sorry to be a pain but could you send me a link to some sponges and bio-media which is suitable for my marina s10 filter?
I'm afraid i'm unable to remove the cories. So i don't need to use the anti white spot treatment to cure it?

StagPursey said:
sorry to be a pain but could you send me a link to some sponges and bio-media which is suitable for my marina s10 filter?
I'm afraid i'm unable to remove the cories. So i don't need to use the anti white spot treatment to cure it?

Wow sneaky Jew. All they media are cartridges. And all includes zeolites and carbon. Hmm that's troublesome. Because zeolite and carbon needs to be replaced every month as they stop working after that. And a huge ph swing can cause the carbon to release whatever toxin it absorbed back into the water column. Hmm are u able to buy a new filter? Ahha aquaclear are the best HOB filter IMO. If u can't, I'm not sure what u can do, because I have no experience with that filter.

Regarding treatment, Cory doesn't do well with salt. So u have to use medication I think but Ur filter is stopping u from doin that. because u will need to remove Ur media if u are to use medications.

I don't really have any money so a new filter is sorta outta the question. why would there be a huge ph swing?
I heard that it's fine to remove the media as long as i keep it in a tub with tank water..?

StagPursey said:
I don't really have any money so a new filter is sorta outta the question. why would there be a huge ph swing?
I heard that it's fine to remove the media as long as i keep it in a tub with tank water..?

There wouldn't be a huge ph swing. I'm just explaining what happens when a huge ph swing does take place.

Yes that's true. Tub of water with a source of ammonia to keep the bacteria fed. But It means ur filter will have no media, and will probably cause a mini cycle. Due most bacteria are living on Ur media that u are removing.

hmm ok how long should i wait before adding the filter cartridges back into the tank?

Im DIYing filter cartridgres for my brothers s10 slim filter. I dont like the ones that came with it. I am making a frame out of a old wire hanger and putting the mesh around it. I will put carbon in one and a pack of rocks to grow bacteria on the other.

I'm treating my tank for ich and I'm two days in and not seeing any new spots. I'm just using heat. NO salt. So far I've lost 4 fish (all new and the ones that brought ich into the tank) but they must have been sick way beforehand. just turn your heater up to 86*F and leave it for 2 weeks. The high temp kills the ich. But make sure it reaches 86 because any lower will just make the ich life cycle faster.

Back
Top Bottom