Any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was treating this fishy for columnaris. She was showing a fuzzy white growth on her body and across one eye. Is was very slight. Definitely not ICH. She also had a fuzzy patch on one of her fins.

Lowered temp, added salt and started treatment with kanaplex and furan -2.

She went nose down tonight. I thought it might be swim bladder. She seems active and swimming. Her tail fin is clamped and reddish but otherwise the fuzz seems better today.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

What period of time did you apply all these meds? What was your water change regimen during that time? How did you maintain directed levels of so many meds with different schedules? Not to sound harsh, but IMHO that is a very difficult path to take unless you are certain of each diagnosis and concentration. I may be lazy, but I would just do a bunch of proper large water changes unless I was 100% on a diagnosis. Even if I were, I wouldn't attempt to treat so many possible inflictions at the same time via medications.

The Meds have been given for the recommended period starting yesterday. Furan is daily for 2 days then 25% water change. Kanaplex is every 2 days.

I started the meds and salt after a water change so they are at the right levels. Tomorrow when Furan 2 recommends I change 25% of the water I will do a 25-50% change then the third dose of Furan 2 and second dose of Kanaplex.

The salt was upped over a 24 hr period.

I followed this method last time there was columnaris in the tank so I figured I would go with the same this time. It is a QT tank and was progressing quickly so I did as well.

This is the site I got most of the information from last time:
Columnaris (Flexibacteria) in Aquarium Fish; Fungus, Saprolegnia; Treatment, Prevention

Really glad to hear that this is a QT tank. If you are seeing signs of improvement, I'd stay your course but would caution against adding anything else into the mix (i.e. for swim bladder or other presentations). My biggest concern with applying broad spectrum meds is always diagnosis. We tend to lump a lot of different ailments into groups and call them by one name which makes the treatment questionable. What type of fish is affected? Do you happen to know the GH/KH of your QT tank? I wish I could offer to help somehow, but it seems that I'm just following out of curiosity now. Good luck to you and your fish!

I can only come up with a few reasons right now. I don't see anything on Columnaris and paralysis but my husband checked on the fish last night and said that the lack of movement of the tail fin seemed to be creeping up. She had lost color and was still head down.

My only possibilities are:
1. water softener is out of commission or has a salt bridge so when I did the PWC it could have thrown off the ph, gh, kh of the tank too quickly.

2. Whatever illness this fish had caused paralysis. I assumed columnairis because it was moving quickly and was white cottony fuzz on the body but it was slight. Could only been seen in the light at a profile.

4. Changes made in salinity could have compromised and already sick fish. But the other fish seemed to do ok with it.

3. A plant that I had in that tank wasn't doing well and I had fed them brine shrimp. Maybe there was some decomposing stuff in there that didn't get cleaned up ? Not sure.

The other 4 fish are doing well. Think I will finish up treatment and reset the QT back to 6 more weeks. :/ Bummer I was looking forward to them being in my 75 gallon for the new year.

Back
Top Bottom