Any ideas? What's this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 3 neon tetras I've had in quarantine for months. Two of them have white gnarled tails. The third looks fine. I've treated for fungus. Then waited a few weeks. Then treated with Kanaplex. Nothing has helped at all. Now I'm just treating with salt. The fish eat well, and don't seem to act sick. They do seem to struggle with keeping their back ends from dropping when at rest.

Any ideas?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446004020.287937.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446004038.063999.jpg

Water:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Ph 7

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could be neon tetra disease. It's quite common. I believe it's considered a parasite. If one dies immediately remove it as NTD is spread When other tetras eat the infected one(yes fish will eat another if it dies).

Caleb

They've had it for months. Wouldn't NTD wipe them out quickly?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

No i had a neon with NTD and one day it started swimming weird and then it was dead. It was swimming head up at a 45° angle along the bottom.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. I'll try both the Furan and Kanaplex at the same time. I've not tried them together. They have been in quarantine for probably about 2 months now. I feared NTD so I pulled all three from my community tank whether they were sick or not. One shows no signs at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

really looks like columnaris.....

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html

Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention

You need to use kanaplex AND furan at the same time.

Treat whole tank even if fish dies before you get to it.

Other fish will get this eventually.
It all depends on stress and age of fish at this point IMO.

The one with curved back is too far gone IMO.
Part of curing this is to remove those fish too sick to recover.
+1
Agreed

Back
Top Bottom