any "swim bladder" recovery stories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marsh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hello, I have a 3 year old betta male whom I love dearly who is on his 6-7th day of suffering from swim bladder disorder (a symptom of some other ailment, possibly overfeeding and another issue like parasites, in my estimation).

I would love to hear the stories of any fish, particularly betta fish, who have recovered from this symptom and the details of your treatment methods.

This particular fish, Marshall, has survived two bouts of pop-eye many months apart, both treated semi successfully, although he is 75% blind-- barely sees but was trained to use a feeding ring before his eyesight loss. I am hoping he will survive but have not read any success stories in my research here.

I am currently treating the little guy with Tetra "Parasite Guard" {Praziquantel} in an 8-gallon hospital tank with a whisper 10i filter, heater, and a piece of driftwood covered in plants for him to rest on/under.. He floats up to the top, but when I disturbed him today with a water change he escaped from his perch between the wall of the tub and a suctioncup on the filter(very neat bc it kept him from floating sideways) and dashed under the wood.

I was on vacation when this happened so I assumed he was overfed on frozen bloodworms by a roommate. I also lost a pea puffer so who knows what happened while I was gone, sadly I can only treat him and hope for the best.

Hope appreciated!

How many days have you been using this med? It's actually a combo of prazi, metro, diflubenzuron and acriflavine. Metro can be helpful in a few buoyancy cases. The combo is a very potent one and will basically address a parasite issue (if there is one).

Unfortunately, buoyancy problems can be extremely difficult to treat as their possible causes are so numerous and complicated. I would give this med a try and see if there is any improvement first. If not, we can try some other things. Just make sure you are keeping your water quality pristine as unhealthy water will only further hamper efforts to try and improve his health. Please keep us posted!

I did rescue a betta with swim bladder, sever fin rot, pop eye, internal parasites, velvet and sever ammonia burns he was about 2 years old when I rescued him. ..with almost every known betta disease he made a full recovery with kanaplex...the scar from his ammonia burns and fins were never the same but he was happy and lived a healthy 1.5 year after that

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

wow, great job!

I am v proud of your success! :cool:

I have had a few recovery stories work out but I am so glad to hear that you have had more!

also sadly I did euthanize my fish, Marshall after 25 days of unsuccessful treatment.

he will be missed :angel::fish1::fish2::angel::angel::angel:

Back
Top Bottom