API triple Sulfa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejaramillo01

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does somebody know if the API Triple Sulfa medication is going to kill my good bacteria from the filter? What about shrimp?

I need to deal with some possible bacterial infection in my tank, and this medication is less expensive.... But I just need opinions here.
Thanks

Hi Edgar! What exactly are you trying to treat? Although triple sulfa should not be very harmful to your bb, its effectiveness against disease is limited. It does not actually kill bacteria, just inhibits its growth. Its only effective against gram-negative bacterium as well. Make sure you remove any carbon from your filters (if you have it) before using any type of medication. I am not 100% positive if its safe for shrimp-i would call api & ask before using with them or move them elsewhere during treatment.

jlk said:
Hi Edgar! What exactly are you trying to treat? Although triple sulfa should not be very harmful to your bb, its effectiveness against disease is limited. It does not actually kill bacteria, just inhibits its growth. Its only effective against gram-negative bacterium as well. Make sure you remove any carbon from your filters (if you have it) before using any type of medication. I am not 100% positive if its safe for shrimp-i would call api & ask before using with them or move them elsewhere during treatment.

It is like pop eye disease, but it is not fungus, it's bacteria.

Affected two Kerri tetras, I moved them to a QT tank, but maybe I need to treat my whole tank? (100G), so for the big tank I was thinking on the sulfa because it is more cost affordable.

Ho Edgar! How are your water parameters? Are there only 2 fish affected? If its only 2 fish and they are in qt, i would just treat them for now before considering treating the whole tank. Pop-eye can be difficult to treat but erthromycin is ususally the most effective treatment. If your local lfs doesnt have erthro, amazon sells most fish meds pretty inexpensively.

jlk said:
Ho Edgar! How are your water parameters? Are there only 2 fish affected? If its only 2 fish and they are in qt, i would just treat them for now before considering treating the whole tank. Pop-eye can be difficult to treat but erthromycin is ususally the most effective treatment. If your local lfs doesnt have erthro, amazon sells most fish meds pretty inexpensively.

Water parameters are: pH 7.6, Temperature 78, Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrites 0ppm, Nitrates 15 ppm.

I will check the prices in Amazon, thanks jlk!

Back
Top Bottom