My girlfriend has a 120 Litre tank with apistogramma in it. 1 male 3 females and 2 females have become sick, one worse than the other. One has a curved spine sideways and is a little darker than normal she can't swim in open water anymore and just lay on the bottom, the other one has a curved spine downwards and also has less color but instead of blackish she is a little lighter than normal. But of them don't eat anymore and got sunken bellies over the last days and are gasping for air. Symptoms could say Fish TBS, but I am not sure yet because of some reasons and because it is supposed to be rare.
Those reasons are:
-They have been removed from the tank and the other fish (1 male apisto 1 female apisto, 2 dwarf gouramies and 3 loaches) are perfectly healthy. If FTBS is highly contagious why are they fine?
-I dont know how long it takes before FTBS shows signs / how long it takes to develop.
- One female also got a crooked mouth suddenly a few months back (thought this was from a fight or something, could it be FTBS or genes?)
- We recently added 2 dwarf gouramies from a locally well kwown aquarium pet store, so I need to know if they might have brougth a bacteria with them but for that I need to know how long FTBS takes to develop, and they are perfectly fine themself (breeding behavior and all)
- only 1 female of the 3 ever laid eggs (signs of genetic defficiency?) The one who laid eggs is still healthy
- I feed them bloodworm, flakes and an Frozen Shrimp/peas mix (a nutritional diet)
- tank was very dirty for a while (about 3 weeks) but that was 3 months ago.
So there are some indications of FTBS and some indications of genetic defficiency, while I am not sure about indications of nutritional defficiency or bad water quality.
If it is FTBS does it mean we have to start over again with the tank and disinfect everything?
I am sort of hoping it is genetic defficiency.
I need to know if there is anything left to do for the two females and what to do with the main tank.
Female that is lighter
Female that is crooked sideways and darkish
So much thanks for reading and helping!!