Aquarium crisis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afurlow96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 10gallon aquarium was up and running great for about a month and then i went on vacation. I asked my family to throw in 6-7 pellets a day, and don't worry if they miss a day as its harder to starve than over feed.
I guess they didn't really hear me because i was gone for around 10 days and came back to a pond.
The water is murkier than it had ever been, ammonia has hit higher levels than i've seen at around 2.0ppm, there were piles of rotting food in the gravel, and my cory cats are usually the most lively, now they hardly move.. so little that i could touch them before they swam.
The tank is in worse shape than i've ever thought it could be in and i immediately did a 50% water change and vacuum of the gravel when i got back but there is still a bunch more junk in there.

My thought is the only hope is 50% water changes and vacuuming every day until it clears up.. That, or, start from scratch. I was contemplating just completely emptying my tank and refilling it and starting anew. In other words, follow that euthanasia advice on the forum, although thats more of a last resort if the tank is too far gone.

You could get large a container to refill your tank.

Before you empty all of your tank water, fill the big container up with water, dechlorinate it and leave it for at least 24 hours. Then, empty all of your tank water and refill using the dechlorinated water :) this should not damage the beneficial bacteria because most of it should live in your biological filter and when you put normal dechlorinated water in there it shouldn't change much except your nitrates (good bacteria) should drop but thats a good thing as to much nitrates can be quite bad for your fish. I usually stay around 5-10ppm :) this will also slowly get rid of your ammonia and nitrite (if you have nitrite).

Also this means you can put your fish back into the aquarium with out doing real harm.

You could also change your filter cartridge/filter wool just so it can be that extra bit cleaner.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've had a similar problem before, and what I would do is just completely restart. It sucks but it's better than killing all your fish and doing a bunch of work for nothing.

May the force be with you.

Back
Top Bottom