Aquatic Caterpillar? HELP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sukie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A few days ago I noticed a larvae looking creature trying to climb the glass of my tank, and had not had the slightest glimpse of it until earlier? It has now encased itself in what I can only refer to as a case of leaves? Can anybody help me as to whether I should remove it? Simply keep an eye on it? I have tried to do research on it but cannot seem to find much helpful information?
Please help!

Pictures are unfortunately not amazing!

Attachments

• IMG02173-20110111-2334.jpg
    IMG02173-20110111-2334.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG02176-20110111-2336.jpg
    IMG02176-20110111-2336.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 124
Hard to tell from the pic, but there are a couple of varieties of moths that start off as "aquatic catapillars". They eat aquatic plants... I would take it out and get rid of it.

More than likely, yes. Probably had some eggs hitchhike in.

Welcome to AA by the way!

Successfully removed! Cannot say the same for the 1000 snails!
For snails... Get a yo-yo loach amazing at killing all the snails and look really nice also wont destroy plants. I have one in my 55 gallon planted tank.

For snails... Get a yo-yo loach amazing at killing all the snails and look really nice also wont destroy plants. I have one in my 55 gallon planted tank.

Agreed... or a zebra loach... I put one in my 29 and never saw another snail. My little 5g ADA tank is full of 'em. I have to pull them out with tweezers a few times a week.

Agreed... or a zebra loach... I put one in my 29 and never saw another snail. My little 5g ADA tank is full of 'em. I have to pull them out with tweezers a few times a week.
Yea not a single snail now. It's to the point were i have to let the snails breed in another tank and toss in like 5 every other day so that my yo yo could eat. They kill them right away then come back through out the day to finish eating them.

Thanks for the advice.. Put two other pics up in my album of the caterpillar incase anyone is interested, still not great though! Nasty little thing really! Quite happy I noticed it before it got a chance to hatch into something worse!

Back
Top Bottom