are my fish dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hopps

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have noticed today and yesterday my fish wont stop opening and closing their mouths. i just did a massive water change as well tested everything and nothing was a problem but its still happening. i did however have to lower then ph and the water felt warmer then usual. the fish at concern are a dwarf gourami and a angelffish along with 2 albino cory catfish and 6 neon tetras all in a 29 gallon tank. i have a ligjt on the whole day as well has plastic plants and drift wood. The fish were fine but recently the gourami has been chasing yhe angel fish off and on. it seemed to help that i changed the tank around but im still worried sbout the rapid opening and closing of the mouths any help?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 28
How long have you had the tank?

Did you test the water before or after the massive water change? Or both? If before what was the result? No point testing after such a large water change, you are only going to see the parameters for tap water. Let the tank run for 24 and test. Post actual numbers, not just "no problem".

Why did you have to lower the pH? Fish can adapt to a range of pH. Its more important to have a steady pH than trying to get to what you think is the ideal. Trying to alter pH just causes fluctuations which is stressful to fish. If the natural pH of your tank is between say 6.5 and 7.8 thats fine.

Leaving the light on 24/7 isnt a good idea. Fish need a period of darkness to simulate natural day and night patterns. 12 hours on at the most and even that could cause algae growth. 6 to 8 hours on is what people commonly arrive at to keep algae at a manageable level. Your water does look a little green, but that could be the colour of the walls through the water.

Tip on aquascaping. Get a black background for the tank. It will hide all that equipment down the back of the tank and cause all the things in the tank you want to see to really pop out. It will also give your fish some added security and reduce stress.

Well, if the water felt warmer than usual, is because it was. I see you have a heater in the tank, what do you have the temperature set at? Too warm, the fish will be gasping for oxygen on top of the water.

Back
Top Bottom