Are my Killifish dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got back from a convention where I bought two aphyosemion australe killifish. When I saw them they were in small critter keepers without a heater or filter. Both of them were swimming around happily but their gills and fins were moving rapidly. I used the drip acclimation method and put them into my tank when I got home. when I did this the fin and gill movement was even faster and both the male and female are very stressed. my tank has been cycling for a month however I just tested my water again and it had high ammonia of 1ppm. pH is 7.4. I hope they are ok. is this normal when they first go into my tank? when I asked the breeder he said this happens when they have a lack of oxygen. I have an air powered filter so that shouldn't be a problem now. please help me save my fish! :fish1:

You did water change right?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just checked on them and the female is doing fine however the male is freaking out...he is hanging out near the bottom too. I'm afraid he is going into shock.

So is this normal at first?

Edit: the male is fine now! Thank goodness! I think they will be fine. They are actually a mated pair and they were spawning when I bought them. They are back to spawning, so that's a good sign! Is that particular species annual? I hope not because I love them so much I'd hate for them to only live a year or two!

Then it needs to be zero. Over .25 is very dangerous

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes it is. I will be getting some Seachem Prime to take care of that. The beneficial bacteria should help too after the killifish produce waste to feed them. I've been feeding goldfish food to the BB so I thought that would be enough but I guess not... :bb:

Back
Top Bottom