Are otocinclus catfish really sensitive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I got two healthy-looking otos at the lfs this afternoon, but I've just checked my tank to find that one of them has died. I've checked all my parameters and they are normal. My other fish seem fine too. Is there something I could have done to make it die so suddenly? It certainly seemed healthy at the store. Now I'm worried about my other one making it through the night. Has anyone had this same issue? Are otos just really sensitive?

So, I got two healthy-looking otos at the lfs this afternoon, but I've just checked my tank to find that one of them has died. I've checked all my parameters and they are normal. My other fish seem fine too. Is there something I could have done to make it die so suddenly? It certainly seemed healthy at the store. Now I'm worried about my other one making it through the night. Has anyone had this same issue? Are otos just really sensitive?
Yes they are and can be very difficult to keep alive. I read a post from Rivercats and she said that they are wild caught and some type of chemical is used to help catch them. This could be an issue. I have never managed to keep them alive for more than a few weeks. They are cool little guys but I don't use them anymore, not until I get my tank planted and matured....

Oto's are pretty sensitive. I bought 3 originally when my one tank was 4 months old and 2/3 were dead within a week. My tank hasn't been established long enough to support their need for constant algae grazing. Now I have 1 loner over a year later that still refuses to eat prepared foods. I've thought about getting more since they are schooling fish but my tank also has BN juvies so I know I wouldn't have enough algae to support anymore since most won't eat anything besides natural algae.
Hopefully your tank is established and has a good amount of algae growing. My guess is that the store in which you bought them didn't have enough for them and the one starved.

Thanks. My oto made it through the night so now I'm just gonna hope for the best! I think that if he makes it through the next month I'll get him one or two friends. Hopefully for now my cories will keep him company. And my tank is about a year and a half old, with one live plant, and there is definitely some algae on the glass if that's what he can eat! Guess I just have to wait and see now. Thanks again!

I'm my opinion I think it depends mostly on the oto you get, my tank had only been set up for 3 months and I got 4 and they're all doing fine, my parameters arrant perfect but I have driftwood and plenty of plants.. They're cool little guys I wish more people had better experiences with.

I never thought that they were had them in many tanks over the years. That was until a couple months ago, I added 5 more to my tank and within a week all were dead. The original 4 were fine, the rest of the stock was perfect and my parameters were also spot on.

I bought 5 for my tank but I didn't realize they were so sensitive. They are shipping in this week so now I'm defiantly on edge. I have plenty of algae for them to eat though.

My 2 cents - I bought three otos three years ago. 1 died right away, but the other two keep on ticking until now, and even survived a re-homing from a 20-gallon to a 40-gallon tank. Every now and then they stick to the glass and (supposedly) eat algae, but they spend 90% of their time in the small piece of driftwood that I have had for a few years. Whatever that driftwood has on it, they love. Like other people on this thread, mine also refuse to eat prepared foods. It's my hunch that the only reason they're still alive is because of that piece of mopani wood.

My 2 cents - they spend 90% of their time in the small piece of driftwood that I have had for a few years. Whatever that driftwood has on it, they love. Like other people on this thread, mine also refuse to eat prepared foods. It's my hunch that the only reason they're still alive is because of that piece of mopani wood.

I agree with that mine hardly ever leave the driftwood I have. However mine do come out to attack algae pellets I have for fry.

The issue with Otos is the way they are caught and shipped, and the way they digest food. They use cyanide to stun them, then don't feed them while they are held for shipping, and they starve.

Otos are a bit like cows. They rely on gut bacteria to digest the cellulose in algae cell walls, to get the nutrients inside. The bacteria provide nutrients with their digestion too. Once caught and unfed, the bacteria begin to die off. Once they get to a store, they are faced with unfamiliar food as well as being starved. Not all will take the algae tabs, which are nothing like what they are used to.

The Germans call what they eat Aufwuchs. It means the algae plus the infusoria, bacteria and tiny animals that live in the algae. I have seen Otos eat microworm, but I think it was only because the worms were on top of algae. In habitat they graze constantly. In a tank, they will eat biofilm, which grows really well on wood, btw, but it is not algae and it is not enough for many of them.

Those that are weakest die within days of reaching a store. The toughest of them last longer but until the gut bacteria populations regrow, they are not getting much value from what they might eat. They can look fat as can be, but still be starving.

It is best to buy them only after they have been in a store for at least one week, preferably much longer than that. Then they really need algae to eat. I keep marble chips in a jar full of tank water, left in the sun or sunny window, 'til it gets green and fuzzy. I drop them in the tank, they are snow white again in a day. Back in the jar. Takes a LOT of rocks to keep a few Otos fed, and the snails and shrimp love it too, so they compete for it. I try to keep enough on hand for all. Most of them will take algae tabs or pellets eventually, but perhaps not in time to get their guts working again.

If they survive two months in your tank, they likely will live for many years. If you can, get to the store when it is feeding time, buy the ones that you see eating the algae tabs, and that are most active. Those just sitting on the tank bottom, leave them, poor things.

I really hate they are caught as they are, but it is not likely to change so long as they are being purchased. They are charming and very hard workers, and I love them, but it is not that they are so sensitive. It is that they are starving, and weak, which makes them ultra susceptible to any opportunistic infection around until they get stronger, and often it is simple starvation that is the cause of death.

That was a great write-up, fishfur. To add to what has been said, it's important to acclimate otos very carefully. If the shop water and new water are significantly different, use due diligence and acclimate using the drip method. In my "book," this is almost always required when ordering online.

David

I can't argue with that DavidAl.. since they are already terribly stressed and starving, acclimation with care is simply good sense. Stressed fish simply don't deal with change as easily as those who are not stressed.

Back
Top Bottom