Arowana has popeye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr.diggler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I treated for five days it cleared up. A couple days later after I finished feeding the ray I looked and it appeared again. This time both arowanas are in a quarantine tank. Levels are fine in the tank. They get fed twice a day and after reading the amount of crickets I would give them in a sitting was to much. The only thing I am concerned with is that today will be the fourth day treating and he still has the popeye. Hoping that tommrow morning will take a turn for the better. Anyone had this problem with their arowana

Still no improvement. Tommrow will be the last day in the quarantine tank. I used Mardel Tetracycline tablets. Really concerned that he will lose his eye. Does anyone have any input.

Hi dr. diggler,
I know nothing about arowanas, so this is just general information. Sometimes, you do need to give the fish another round of antibiotics. The usual length of treatment is 4 or 5 days, and the directions may say to give an additional 4 or 5 days. I have medicated my fish before, and they showed no improvement at the end of the first treatment, so I gave then a second, and it seems like they perked up on the last day -- about day 9 or 10 -- of treatment. So if it doesn't look like the fish are stressed by the med or by being in QT, then go ahead and give them a second round of treatment. An antibiotic that I have had good luck with is Kanacyn, by Aquatronics.

well the good news is after the 5 dose or technically the 10th because this is the second round of treatment his eye has returned to normal size. But this is what happened the first time around on 3rd day of treatment. After reading a good deal about this, it is common with arowana's. Most breeders put arowanas with popeye back in the pond and find that they will in time heal themselves. Tommrow mid day he will go back in the big tank. he is a silver arowana, he is 8-9inches... After reading it looks as though he is a male. I purchased both when they were babies they grew at different rates the other is alot smaller. Same daily intake.

Thanks again for the replies

Little update. I have covered the sides of the tank in hopes that this would solve the popeye. Still the same although not as bad as it was at one point. The water is as usual straight. Should I just be waiting this out or should I try a different route. Any Ideas..

I have a male betta fish with this problem too after returning from a three day trip. I have started using American Pharmaceuticals Melafix, Pimafix, Tetracycline, and also recommended amount of aquarium salt at water change. Please do remove all filters while medicating and allow medication to flow through the tank with the aerator system. After five days, change 25 percent of the water. If you do not see improvement in five days, switch the antibiodic to erythomycin which is now available at your local PetSmart.

My fish seems to be as active as ever but agitated from time to time. I am unsure if it is eye fungus or cataracts ... same treatment though.

Please let me know how your little friend is doing ....

Thanks,
Nancy :)

Little update, I got the arowanas to eat shrimp which is sweet. Although Moloko the arowana still has the issue with his eye. I used Tetracycline for two full treatments and it came back. Not sure whether to leave it or try and treat it again

EM = erythromycin? I agree. I would try again with a different antibiotic. Erythromycin is a good one to try.

PS. nph555, watch the betta very carefully while treating with Melafix. Better yet, don't use it on a betta. I have found that it's an irritant to the labyrinth organ. That could be the reason the betta is agitated.

Back
Top Bottom