At the end of my tether, please help (long post with pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LilMooCow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello fish lovers, I'm sure I'm one of these people that annoy more advanced fishkeepers! I didn't mean to, I just accidentally jumped into the deep end unfortunately and I've tried my hardest to rectify the problems but have so far failed. All I can say is I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge!, and I'm desperate, and if you have the time to read my epic problem post and offer me any advice I'd be so grateful. I think I should tell the story so people understand...

May 2009
It all started out very innocently last year - I was working as a support worker for 5 young adults with learning disabilities - I was supporting one of the guys working at a charity shop and we came across a little plastic hexagonal start-up tank for £1. He told me he wanted to call my fish 'Mister Golding!', so I thought why not? My mum used to own a pet shop, though I only worked with the non-aquatic pets, so I didn't know a great deal but enough for a couple of fish I thought. :-?

I set up the tank with a combined pump and filter, the usual gravel and ornaments, left it 3 weeks and bought 2 tri-tail Orandas; one was gold, the other had the colouring of a Shubumpkin so I called him Mister Bumpkin (pictured below - he used to have more black on him than he does now I swear!):
img97271.jpg

Mister Bumpkin proceeded to bully Mister Golding to his death - he seemingly died of stress from being chased constantly. So then I bought a slightly larger Oranda and the guy I worked for told me to call him Mister Scotsmere! Mister Scotsmere was also bullied to death by Mister Bumpkin - or a side effect of it I'd assumed; he had swimbladder. I couldn't hate him though, he is a cool fish..! So Bumpkin's been living on his own happily with a tiny plec since.

November
My mum came to see me with a gift - a 25 gallon fish tank she didn't want anymore with a matching stand. How could I say no? It even came with a massive internal Fluval filter and pump - only thing is I've never had a tank this big before. We filled it, put in the filter, the underwater pump above it to circulate the water, then mum told me to leave it for a few weeks before getting fish for it. So on the 17th November, after 2 weeks and too much excitement to wait any longer I bought 2 Orandas that were a similar size to Mister Bumpkin, reasoning that he was less likely to be dominant in a tank he didn't know. They were fine and dandy for 3 or 4 days, so then I put Mister Bumpkin in. He proceeded to bully immediately, then after 3 hours I put him in a fish bag in the tank (I'd stupidly emptied out the water from my old tank so couldn't put him back in that and didn't have dividers and desperately didn't want him to kill Ugly or Lil my new fish!). I'd cut loads of holes in the big fish bag to get some water flow through it, I know it seems cruel but I didn't know what else to do.

img9756x.jpg

So I fill up the old tank again for a backup, adding water conditioner and the same combined pump filter (I hadn't cleaned the filter which from what I read was a good thing). It's set up and ready to use if I need it.

November 22nd
My dad comes to visit, finding the situation with Mister Bumpkin strange and amusing, we go to Pets At Home for a tank divider - having been made redundant recently he offers to get me one - yes bad time to have a new tank when I'm skint. We go there and they don't have one, naturally I have a wander and I look at the fish longingly, and I see the most GORGEOUS bubblehead Oranda (that's probably not its proper name) - it's pretty **** big, fairly expensive and with the most stunning colouring. Dad immediately offers to buy her (it had lipstick-type markings so I decided it was a girl!), reasoning it'd sort out Mister Bumpkin. So he gets me the fish, I called her Fatty. We got in, let out Mister Bumpkin and floated Fatty's bag in the tank then put her in after 10 minutes to allow for temperature adjustment. Fatty seems happy. Mister Bumpkin immediately starts bullying AGAIN! Dad used to sell fish, mostly koi carp, some smaller ones for a while and insists they should have Malachite Green in there to do with some whitespot theory he explained to me, I can't really remember. Out of the treatments mum has given me with the tank, dad uses Aquarium Doctor WSP - Anti Whitespot Treatment. The back of the bottle says to use over 48 hours. Dad gave me a list of days to put in 5 or 10 ml (can't remember) - Day 1, Day 3, then like day 5 and 8 or something. I trust his advice, though looking back I wonder if this is why the problems started?

Dad leaves a few hours later after we put in the first water treatment. I stood in front of the tank for about 20 mins watching Mister Bumpkin push Fatty by her tail, chasing, tormenting, pushing her into the jagged rock and worryingly at the bottom of the tank pushing her up against the tank wall by her gill, seeming shutting both of them by doing this. I immediately put Mister Bumpkin in the old tank. Fatty seems fine, Ugly and Lil are happy too.

December
img0627mj.jpg

The usual scene - at the bottom of the tank hiding. She used to hide at the front of the tank, now she hides at the back

After the treatments, I'd say a few days after day 8 of treating with WSP, Fatty is seriously unhappy sat at the bottom-right at the front of the tank - I moved the gravel in this area so she doesn't damage her belly. Two days later I treat the tank for Swimbladder following the instructions - I'd seen it before and it certainly looked like she had it. No change. She looks so unhappy, only moving for food. I purchase some expensive floating fish pellets specifically for orandas as the other pellets I had sunk and she never got a chance to find them. She's eating fine but still sat at the bottom. I speak to my mum about it and she asks about the air supply - I say the underwater pump on top of the filter. Mum is probably shaking her head and tells me this isn't an air supply, there are no bubbles. Crap. So I search my spare supplies, find a pump and airline and put that right at the bottom of the tank. Searching the web I read that daily water changes are a good idea, then elsewhere that doing water changes daily are a bad idea! So I do approx 40% water changes every other day for a week using my long tube with gravel skimmer at the end of it. Fatty moves, but only cos I'm in the way. No change in Fatty occurs, Lil and Ugly are still fine. Each time I change the water I use Stress Coat. I speak to dad, he tells me I'm putting too may chemicals in the water - to only use kettle-boiled hot water and cold water mixed and to put a tablespoon of dissolved rock salt in instead of Stress Coat conditioner with the water change. I do this on the last day of the week of on-off water changes. No change in the fish. I have a bout of excessive algae, I read online to do a 3 day darkness with no food to treat it - I do this, the agae goes. Another water change. I buy frozen Daphnia cos I read that's good for the fish, i feed them every few days with that aswell as the posh Oranda food pellets. Still nothing. Before Christmas day in a desperate bid to fix things, unable to afford a new pump, I steal the pump from Mister Bumpkin's tank and place the airline at the bottom of the Sad Tank in the hope it'll help. Nothing. The only thing I can think of now is that I've noticed it's a bit warmer at the bottom of the tank than the top when my arm is all the way in - surely this can't be it though?

img0634e.jpg

Picture of Fatty going for food - the only time she seems to move, and it's very irratic

Today
Today I feel like giving up - the past 2 days Lil is hovering near the base of the tank not moving much. A few hours ago I looked in and Lil is nowhere to be seen...she is either stuck or searching inbetween rocks at the base of the tank - on purpose? I'm not sure but feel I need to move them as a precaution. So I pull the rocks away and she appears damaged - missing scales, red marks at the bottom of her body, a dent in her gill and white marks on the dorsal fin, but I assume it's just damage from being stuck? The fin looks grated, but there's a possibility it could be whitespot I suppose, however I've not noticed until now and Fatty and Ugly definitely don't have it.

img0623ej.jpg

The tank set-up, taken just now

img0633j.jpg

Lil looking worse for wear after I assume from being trapped in rocks, this is the good side. Base of tail, mark on gill, white weirdness on dorsal fin, not clear on the small photo

img0626ks.jpg

Ugly looking fine

I just feel like giving up on it - I've given these fish an obviously crap existence and since December the tank depresses me. 2 days ago I got a job offer and I start in a week, but I'll still have little money for a while as I'll be paid a month in arrears - I'm pretty much surving on selling on eBay at the moment. I realise a water testing kit would be useful, though treatment for nitrite and ammonia problems that I've read so far consists of water changes from what I've read and I have been doing that. Looking in the filter from above the white filter pad is brown, but mum says I shouldn't clean it yet - I wouldn't know how to anyway to be honest with you. I don't know what to do next. If you have read this far, god bless you!, and if you have any advice I'd be extremely grateful! Sorry for the length of this.

I have spent a LONG time reading this fantastic website, and I'm going to start with daily water changes and whitespot treatment because I've just found out what I thought was damage on Lil's dorsal fin and gill is definitely white spot. I wish I had a quarantine tank right now! It all gets complicated when you get a bigger tank and more than 1 fish! I also reckon evil fish are more hardy...lol =D

Welcome to AA! First I would try feeding fatty a frozen pea. Skin the pea, nuke it for a couple seconds and make sure they are bite sized portions. Have you seen her poo?

Secondly, do a large water change and add dechlorinator only. No stress coat and no medications.

If fatty seems to be having swimb ladder problems, epsom salt will help naturally for that.

What temp is your water? You may have said but I don't remember and don't want to scroll through it again , LOL.

Lastly you are going to need a larger tank sooner rather than later. Goldfish, fancy included should have a minimum of 10 gals per fish.

Do another water change in a few days. If you don't have a test kit then you need one. For ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I would recommend Aquarium Pharmaceuticals master test kit. Don't bother with the strips. They are notoriously inaccurate.

Good luck and keep updating so we know how you are making out.

I couldn't sleep and spent a couple of hours thoroughly reading all the threads most useful to my problems and more, and have just spent an hour and a half sorting out both of my tanks - the 27 gallon problem tank being my priority. I did a 50% water change using only boiled water and cold tap water (apparently there can be problems with using hot water from a household boiler). I didn't use dechlorinator, I added 3 teaspoons rock salt per gallon as I am certain Lil and Fatty have whitespot - I couldn't find out whether I am supposed to be putting any more chemicals (dechlorinator) in my tank as they have whitespot AND the tank is very likely to be cycling; I read more chemicals can be worse? I will have to see how much the test kits cost cos I am v strapped for cash at the mo unfortunately, it is definitely a priority though. I also don't have a thermometer, they are cheap to come by and I'll definitely get my hands on one tommorrow. I compared a sample of the fish tank water and my made-up water to get the temps as close as I could tho!

I have 3 fish and I'm not even sure if the centimetre-long plec is still alive, not seein it in forever. When I have more money in a month or two I will most definitely get another tank. It's a shame Mister Bumpkin is such an evil little sod because one of them could have gone in with him!

I will try the pea treatment, and no I never see Fatty's poo really, I will try to when I do water changes and feeding (the only time he bothers moving!). What should it be like??

Could I ask you any advice on my big box-style internal filter, I literally have no idea about how it functions, when I clean it or how etc. I have spare sponges for it, and it has been in there since November - you can see it in a couple of the photos, I am unsure of the model I'm afraid.

Thankyou so much for your help, I feel things are looking up now I'm armed with about 70% of the knowledge I need to sort my Sad Tank out now!

Last edited:
I took my cow mug and cow ornament out of the tank too just in case their varnish is toxic! I never thought of that before!

You NEED dechlorinator. A good one will neutralize other chemicals as well. Tap water is fine, there's no need to boil.

You may want to do large (50%) water changes daily for the next few days to get ammonia and nitrate concentrations down and to encourage health in the fish-- fresh water is the best way to do this. But use dechlorinator!

You can rinse the filter pads in tank water you've removed during a water change if they're gunky-- just swish them gently to remove the gook and put them back right away. No need to scrub, just clean enough to maintain water flow. They don't need replacing until they stop doing their job (filtering larger particles)... so, really, until they fall apart.

Yes, make sure you use dechlor! Yikes!
A good one is Seachem's Prime, as it will actually help you out because it neutralizes some of the ammonia and nitrites, while providing a slime coat (which helps a little against ich).
Some ich meds will ruin your biological filter, so you will have to start the process all over again. :(

Also, I use hot water out of my tap for every water change and have no ill effects. :)

Unfortunately all of this sounds depressingly familiar, I had three goldfish in a row in a 25 litre tank bought from Pets at Home, 2 lasted around a week, the third lasted 3 weeks. I now have tropical fish in a 64 litre tank.

One thing I would say to help us diagnose your problems, is to find out what your levels of Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH are. You can get a test kit for around £30 but Pets at Home will be happy to test the water for you, just say you bought a fish from them at another branch, they aren't to know and in my experience the staff are quite keen to do the tests for you.

Once you have the results we'll be better able to advise your best course. But certainly doing regular big water changes won't hurt, and yes, use the dechlorinator!

Ah, I thought dechloriantor was a chemical I shouldn't use at the moment with the whitespot, will use that tonight. Awesome, thanks for the advice - particularly telling me I don't have to use boiled tap water - that was getting REALLY annoying!!

They've all survived my 27gal tank for almost two months, and today they are moving about much more. Lil is swimming normally now, Fatty is still at the bottom - but swimming on the bottom rather than just sitting :) . The 50% water change and gravel clean, salt and extra air I gave them last night must have helped. Will get them some bits at the pet store tonight if the snow isn't too bad. Thanks :)

Sorry, just to clarify. I'm not going to use whitespot treatment because the tank is still cycling, so I'm using salt instead. Do I do the 81 teaspoons for the 27 gallons of my fish tank every day after every water changer? (as I am supposed to do daily water changes to sort out the ammonia, nitrite/nitrate problems - pending a test kit at the moment).

I'll remember dechlorinator :)

Sorry, just to clarify. I'm not going to use whitespot treatment because the tank is still cycling, so I'm using salt instead. Do I do the 81 teaspoons for the 27 gallons of my fish tank every day after every water changer? (as I am supposed to do daily water changes to sort out the ammonia, nitrite/nitrate problems - pending a test kit at the moment).

Salt does not dissipate or evaporate from water so the only way to remove it is doing water changes. So you should only put in replacement salt appropriate to the amount of new water you are putting into tank.

So if you are doing a 50% change, then, obviously, 40 teaspoons. Make sure you don't just put the salt into the tank first, dissolve in a small jug first (using de-chlorinated water) and then pour it in.

Right, water tests turned out to be perfect - ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, possibly due to the 4 days solid of water changes and salt additions. I have left them for a day and a bit without a water change. Fed Fatty 6 peas so far, not seen her poo, she is swimming more but still living at the bottom of the tank like she has been since the end of November. She seems happier, much more active. I'm wondering if the next thing I'll have to do is gert a heater then? It is warmer at the bottom. Will have to wait a week or two to buy it though =P . Do I need to do water changes to get rid of the salt next, I'm not sure? Oh, and they definitely don't have any whitespot, I'm certain of it now.

Here's some photos of them as they are now (used my better camera this time!):

img0121ap.jpg

Fatty looking pretty as ever, but on the bottom. I moved the stones so she wouldn't hurt her belly as this is her usual lying down spot!

img01361b.jpg

All the fish I have in my 27G tank (you can see my teeny little plec in the background on the left stuck to the glass)

img0123og.jpg

Fatty eating some pellets - I played with this photo a bit =)

img01263.jpg

Looking a bit glum

img01413.jpg

Lil and Fatty

img01321.jpg

Fatty lying down again

Any more ideas for me and my poor fishie?
Thanks

Last edited:
What are you water readings?
Next time there is a photo contest, you need to put the one of Fatty eating pellets in! What a great pic!!! You take really really good pics too, they're so clear!
Your little pleco is SOOOOO cute!
It might take her a little while to poo. How long ago did you give her the peas?

The ammonia and Nitrite were spot on; 0 and 0.1, the Nitrite was about half way between 10 and 20, so 15.

I gave her 2 peas every day for 3 days - difficult to see if she's poo'd cos she is at the bottom of the tank a lot of the time. I'm going to read up a bit more on swimbladder in a mo to see what else I can do to help her. Any ideas?

Aww, thanks - I only got the camera out cos my plec was at the front of the tank for the first time in a fortnight and wanted some pics of them all together =D

Last edited:
Ok, well nitrIte should be 0. The only one you should ever get readings on is the nitrAte. :) So I would recommend more water changes until you can get it to 0.
To help with swimbladder, you can also use salt, but be careful with it because of your pleco.

Sorry, got all confused - Nitrate was 15, the ammona and nitrite were perfecto!

Will do =)

I saw Fatty do a weird, stringy poo!

Do you have names for any of your epic quantities of fish? =D

If Fatty has stringy white poo, that could be an internal parasite. :(

Yeah, my BGK's name is Elvis, his tankmate the dwarf gourami is Willow (from the movie, because he's a sweetie)
Bettas: Diablo Rojo, Shy, Spot, and Gun
H. Rasbora's: Axe and Rose lol
And I can't tell the loaches apart so they are all Crazy lol.
I just got the endler's so I haven't named them yet, or the mystery snails for that matter lol. I guess I should get on the ball!

Haha, I was starting to think I was sad giving mine all names, glad I'm not the only one :D

Hmm, it was sort of transparent and white - I have just looked into internal parasites online, do you think it is dropsy? I used to think swimbladder and dropsy was the same thing when I worked at my mum's pet shop cos the fish showed similar buoyancy problems etc.

I've looked into it and found this the most helpful:

Causes

Dropsy is fairly easy to diagnose non-specifically, however, it is much harder to diagnose the cause. The main cause is bacterial infection. The causative agent may be introduced through food or dirty water.Kidney failure or excess fluid (ascites) due to liver or heart failure are other possible causes.

Treatment

Dropsy is not very contagious; however, if a fish in a community tank is diagnosed with dropsy, it is important to remove it from the aquarium and quarantine it. Dropsy can spread from the ill fish, possibly causing stress among the other fish in the tank community. This extra stress may make the others vulnerable to dropsy or other forms of disease.
Treatment may consist of antibiotics targeting the causative agent. They work best in the very early stages of dropsy. A more hands-on approach is to raise the aquarium's temperature a few degrees - slightly higher than usual. Adding Epsom salts (Magnesium sulfate) to the water (at a rate of 20 mg/L) helps to encourage the fish to expel unnecessary damaging fluids.

Prognosis

Most cases of dropsy are fatal. By the time the fish has swollen up enough that the scales begin to raise, the internal damage may be too extensive to repair. However, if the fish is placed in a quarantine tank and treated with a broad spectrum antibiotic or a bacterial remedy from any aquatic sales shop, then the fish can make a full recovery in less than a week.

I don't have a spare quarantine tank for Fatty - the only thing I can think of doing is using water from the tank in the next water change (the nitrite, nitrate and ammonia levels in my water are now perfect) and placing her in a big container with the treatment for a few hours, but that could stress her more couldn't it? I'm not sure unfortunately. I have a tonne of treatments given to me when I got the tank, I'll check what I have (not at home at the moment).

Also found this:
Another suggestion that you should do is stop performing 1-2 water changes a week. You see by doing too many water changes can mess up your nitrogen cycle causing further stress. Dropsy is usually caused by poor water quality in which I suspect that has caused dropsy to occur on his goldfish. After doing the water changes Brian should add beneficial bacteria after every water change and keep testing his water quality to make sure there are no ammonia spikes. Water quality is something people need to always make sure is kept up and tested to prevent goldfish diseases and parasites from occuring.

I have been using sea salt bought at the supermarket in the water aswell, I read this was fine but I've seen elsewhere that it might make the fish absorb more fluid as opposed to get rid of it. Bah!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom