Austrailian rainbow with growth on mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adcoffman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Remember seeing something a long time ago about this but I couldn't find it. My rainbow has something on his bottom lip. It looks like a piece of food or something but it's abt the same color as the fish and it has been there for at least a full day. Anyone know what it could be?

Attachments

• image-875191248.jpg
    image-875191248.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 46
It may be columnaris (mouth fungus) which is a bacterial infection. Its a bit hard to tell from the pic, but it does resemble a cottony looking growth on his mouth? What size tank is this & what are your water parameters (amm/nitrite/nitrate)? Are you able to qt for treatment if you have a large tank? Some more info will help us to help you better!

jlk said:
It may be columnaris (mouth fungus) which is a bacterial infection. Its a bit hard to tell from the pic, but it does resemble a cottony looking growth on his mouth? What size tank is this & what are your water parameters (amm/nitrite/nitrate)? Are you able to qt for treatment if you have a large tank? Some more info will help us to help you better!

I agree. I believe it's a fungus on the mouth. Pet co may be helpful with sirrectig you to the right medicine (get one by API) they were very helpful to me when my fish had tail and fin rot.

Ooh and get the liquid medicine..in my opinion it works better. And make sure you have no carbon in your filter when u treat them.

Columnaris is a gram-negative bacterial infection that needs to be addressed with an appropriate antibiotic. Kanamycin would be first choice followed by minocycline (maracyn2) along with a theraputic dose of aquarium salt. I have to digress on taking the advice from most petco/chain store employees.

Rainbows are very prone to this affliction. They get a small growth that resembles a goatee on the bottom lip. Normally nothing to worry about. If I get a little lax on my WC's mine will start do develop this also. Several days of small water changes(20%) should clear it up. Bows need pristine water conditions, and a diet rich in vegetable matter. Try changing their diet, and step the water changes up to at least 50% per week, with gravel vacuuming and your problems will probably disappear.

Back
Top Bottom