Baaad day in fish land...all fish dead..why? Snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dora'sfishtank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It's been a heck of a day. A few days ago I added a golden apple snail to my 10gal tank with 2 tetras, 2 baby platys and 3 fancy guppies. Within 2 days all the guppies and platys were dead, and just today a tetra died. The guppy I was able to examine closely appears to have had ick. The snail is dead as well.

So obviously I'm close to starting over, but here's my 2 questions...

a) did the snail cause this?

b) should I completely overhaul the tank and start over, cycle it, etc? I can find a temp home for the remaining tetra in a small tank.

I'm so disappointed. :(

Oh yes. It's been up and running for at least 3 years, if not more. I tested the water and it was perfect...nitrate, nitrite, ph, ammonia, you name it. Water temp was dead on...the x factor seemed to be the snail but I'm not 100% sure I suppose...

There was no other signs besides the possible ick? That just seemed rather fast of everything is spot on.

That's why I'm so frustrated. Nothing makes sense.

Where do I go from here? Should I do another pwc and keep the existing environment? I'd hate to add more fish if there is a problem I can't grasp.

Since you only have the one tetra left, I'd take everything and clean it really well. Make sure there isn't some left over something lurking in there. At this point its all you can do.
I would assume it was the snail. Did you get it from a reputable store?

I've never had problems with this lfs, not that they are all that amazing. I have purchased snails there before, but I'm also wondering if the snail was the issue.

Well, I guess I'll be starting over.

Do you happen to recall what the chemistry of the stores' tank was, and how you acclimated your new fish? Shock can kill the way you described and is common enough if fish are moved to OR FROM poorly maintained tanks. The shock comes from any abrupt change. Snails don't transfer any diseases that I know of, except passively.
Let us know if you remember any more details.

The only new purchase in at least 3 months was the snail. Regarding water chemistry, do you mean what was in the tank at the lfs? I'm afraid I don't know. The snail was in a tank full of snails, but i seldom ask about their wateror care...i just assume i will be taking better care than they have :)It never seemed to do terribly well...there was movement, but not as much as other snails I've had in the past.

The lone tetra that is left is fine thus far...the lone ranger.

Back
Top Bottom