Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2017, 11:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bacterial Dropsy?

I have a 30 gallon tank that has been set up for about 5 years now. I've had a small school (7) of white skirt tetras for about 6 months. Recently one of them got bulging eyes, bloated stomach, and eventually pineconing scales-- symptoms of dropsy, I thought. I tried to treat with Melafix and aquarium salt but the fish died. Isn't dropsy usually caused by stress/poor water chemistry? The rest of my fish seem fine but I'm worried that I should be treating for some sort of bacterial problem?
Besides the 6 white skirt tetras, the only other creature in the tank is one ammano shrimp. I got it two weeks ago and was planning on getting several more. Could the shrimp have somehow carried a disease? I got it from my locally owned LFS, which I trust, and the tank of shrimp and fish looked good when I was back there yesterday.

Tank parameters (using API master kit):
Ammonia:0
Nitrites:0
Nitrates:0 (which is also a little weird, I do have live plants and have done several water changes lately, but there is usually at least a little nitrate, where did it go?)
Temp: 74į F
pH: 7.8 (this is also my tap water pH)

Fluval C4 power filter, 264 gph

No new food, decor, filter, etc.

I've done two 25% water changes in the past week, but at this low stocking level I usually only do this every 2 weeks.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bump?
TL;DR: What causes dropsy in a well established, understocked tank with good parameters and how do I treat it/make sure my other fish don't get it?

Old 01-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Dropsy is just a symptom/signal of an internal bacterial infection and or organ failure.
The cause is still wide open for discussion I believe?
Here is one link on bacterial issues, good reading.
Mycobactera
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
Dropsy is just a symptom/signal of an internal bacterial infection and or organ failure.
The cause is still wide open for discussion I believe?
Here is one link on bacterial issues, good reading.
Mycobactera
Thank you, that article has just the information I was looking for but couldn't find via Google!

Tags
bacteria, bacterial, drop, dropsy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com