Bacterial Dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UntimelyLord

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 30 gallon tank that has been set up for about 5 years now. I've had a small school (7) of white skirt tetras for about 6 months. Recently one of them got bulging eyes, bloated stomach, and eventually pineconing scales-- symptoms of dropsy, I thought. I tried to treat with Melafix and aquarium salt but the fish died. Isn't dropsy usually caused by stress/poor water chemistry? The rest of my fish seem fine but I'm worried that I should be treating for some sort of bacterial problem?
Besides the 6 white skirt tetras, the only other creature in the tank is one ammano shrimp. I got it two weeks ago and was planning on getting several more. Could the shrimp have somehow carried a disease? I got it from my locally owned LFS, which I trust, and the tank of shrimp and fish looked good when I was back there yesterday.

Tank parameters (using API master kit):
Ammonia:0
Nitrites:0
Nitrates:0 (which is also a little weird, I do have live plants and have done several water changes lately, but there is usually at least a little nitrate, where did it go?)
Temp: 74° F
pH: 7.8 (this is also my tap water pH)

Fluval C4 power filter, 264 gph

No new food, decor, filter, etc.

I've done two 25% water changes in the past week, but at this low stocking level I usually only do this every 2 weeks.

Bump?
TL;DR: What causes dropsy in a well established, understocked tank with good parameters and how do I treat it/make sure my other fish don't get it?

Dropsy is just a symptom/signal of an internal bacterial infection and or organ failure.
The cause is still wide open for discussion I believe?
Here is one link on bacterial issues, good reading.
Mycobactera

Dropsy is just a symptom/signal of an internal bacterial infection and or organ failure.
The cause is still wide open for discussion I believe?
Here is one link on bacterial issues, good reading.
Mycobactera
Thank you, that article has just the information I was looking for but couldn't find via Google!

Back
Top Bottom