Bad bacterial infection...HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonky

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,

I have a really bad bacterial infection in my tank. I have a few fish with fin rot, a few with blotches of white spots on them and one with cloudy eye. It all started when I did a water change a week ago and some of the stuff that was growing in the filter got into the tank. I have done 2 water changes since then. The tank is cloudy. I started medicating the tank about 2 days ago with Melafix antibacterial remedy. Any advice would help greatly. I lost 2 silver danio and 2 tiger barbs so far.

Tank Size: 55 gallon
Fish: 8 tiger barb, 6 silver danio, 15 tetra, 1 pleco

any feedback? I'm using a Whisper EX70 as my filter. Should I do water changes every other day? Perhaps the tank is cycling again.

I tested the water 2 days ago. I believe my nitrates = 0 nitrites = 0. I dont remember the hardness. PH = 6.0. I did the test not too long after I did the water change.

Well I haven't had freshwater fish in quit awhile but you shouldn't have any nitrites and your ph is a little to low.

yea the PH is on the low side. I've been having problem raising the PH in my tank. Should I just continue to medicate the tank with antibacterial remedy or does this look more like a fungus infection?

yea the PH is on the low side. I've been having problem raising the PH in my tank. Should I just continue to medicate the tank with antibacterial remedy or does this look more like a fungus infection?
Most of the time fin rot and cloudy eye are caused by poor water quality.I would continue doing water changes along with the antibiotics. You can also add some salt to the water also. Here's a good topic for your problem.http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/finrot.htm

Most of the time fin rot and cloudy eye are caused by poor water quality.I would continue doing water changes along with the antibiotics. You can also add some salt to the water also. Here's a good topic for your problem.http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/finrot.htm

Thanks for the advice. I medicate once a day. How often should i do the water changes? Directions on the melafix says to only do water changes a week from the day i started to medicate but i'm sure my existing water quality is not that good.

I honestly would skip the melafix & just stick to water changes daily with temperature matched, properly conditioned water. You did not mention your ammonia level- this may be your primary issue here. What are you using to test your water (liquid or strips)? What does your ammonia read? How long has this tank been setup? With zero nitrates, I suspect your in the midst of a fish-in cycle unless the tank is heavily planted. Some more info will help!

Back
Top Bottom