Bad Case of Fin Rot? I need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zhawayek

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I am having an issue with some of the fish in my tank and the fins seem to be fraying. I'm not too sure what to think or what to do because I have tried treating the tank and nothing seems to happen.

A few of the silver dollars, the angel fish, and the pleco have fins that are fraying and I'm not sure if it is fin rot or not. The one silver dollar is incredibly bad and barely has any of his fins left, but also seems to have weird patches of white on the body from time to time. There will be one patch of white and then it goes away, but may come back in a few days. There is only one fish that is to the extent I just described and the other fish don't seem to be catching whatever that one particular silver dollar has.

I had my water tested yesterday and the girl at the store said my water parameters were completely fine, but I am unsure of the exact numbers on the parameters.

I have a 55 gallon tank and it has been set up for about 4 1/2 months now.

For filtration, I am using an Aqueon 75, which said can be used for up to 90 gallons. I believe it is around 450 gph. I am also using a Whisper powerfilter 60, but am unsure of the specifications on that.

I have 4 Silver dollars of various sizes (biggest one is around 4 inches long), 1 Angel Fish (2 in), 1 Pleco (3in), 1 Bala Shark (3in), and 1 4-line Pictus Catfish (4 in)

I recently performed around a 30% water change on the Jan 25th and I did vacuum the tank then as well.

All of the fish have been together in the tank for at least 3 months together.

I haven't added anything new to the tank since I first started it.

I have been feeding my fish tropical flakes and pellets for the catfish, which the others occasionally eat as well.

I have described my setup to the best of my ability and really do not know what to do to fix this issue I am having. I've attached 2 pictures of the silver dollar that seems to be getting the worst of whatever the issue is. One picture shows the discoloration and the other shows the fins. Medicine didn't do anything and water changes didn't help either. I appreciate everyone's help. Thank you

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 307
  • unnamed1.jpg
    unnamed1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 210
50% water changes every other day. Get yourself an API freshwater master test kit and test your own water. They don't know what their doing half the time or how to interpret the results. Bala shark needs a school and they grow too big for that tank. The common pleco.... Grows too big for that tank. Silver dollars like schools of 6 or more and should be in a 6 foot tank.... especially the ones you have which look like red hooks which grow real big. Your water needs attention.

Currently working on getting a bigger tank in the near future. You think 50% water changes every other day will get the job done? The water appears to be extremely clear. I'm curious to know why it is only affecting a few fish out of all the ones I have? Do you think I should cut down on feeding for a bit?

As Jmunroe said, plenty of water changes for now. Water parameters and clear water can't replace water changes. How often do you change the water?

I do a 30% water change weekly and vacuum the gravel weekly as well. It just seems weird that it is affecting one fish so much and hasn't spread to the others as badly. I'm new to the aquarium game here (only about 5 months of experience) and am really just trying to learn as much as I can to provide the best care for the fish. I appreciate the help

Does anyone else have any ideas as to what the problem may be? I am open to all and any suggestions. Thanks!

I was looking at some silver dollars today that were huge!
You have a lot of big fish in that tank and I'm wondering if there is any "fin nipping" going on in your tank? I never had those fish other than angels but i can tell you that every single one you have, has the potential of growing a lot more and soon might be a bit cramped in there, if not already.
Again ruling out fin nipping, you can't beat aggressive water changes at this point.

Good luck!

I am already looking into getting a bigger tank for them. It might be fin nipping. I have seen the bala shark getting a bit more aggressive during feedings and it goes after the silver dollars. That only happens during feeding time though. Thanks for your help!

My guess would be fin nipping. With fin root the rays of the fins remain with the webbing inbetween rotting away. When they get nipped it often takes away the roots too. From your photos it looks like the rays have gone too so I'd say it's probably nipping. Water changes will help to heal the fins and prevent them getting infected.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Same here - fin rot or nipping?

40g with an AC50 and 30 - 30% water change and vacuum weekly. Parameters are fine with a high pH.

2 neons
4 peppered corys
6 black skirts
4 swords
1 platys
2 dwarf gourami

noticed this morning 1 black skirt has frayed dorsal and bottom fin. Acts fine. Eats everything.

Any thoughts.

Gouramis just added yesterday, but they stay away from everyone.

Currently working on getting a bigger tank in the near future. You think 50% water changes every other day will get the job done? The water appears to be extremely clear. I'm curious to know why it is only affecting a few fish out of all the ones I have? Do you think I should cut down on feeding for a bit?

Clear water means nothing. It might mean you are free of algae and whatnot, but it can still be hazardous. Like the others said, buy yourself a good LIQUID test kit. The strips are useless. Test your water and give us the results. As I said, clear water means nothing. I am cycling a tank, it's crystal clear. But it has 2ppm ammonia...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom