Bala seems drunk...NOT ICH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Concerned_Citiz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two Balas, one from the LFS and one from the local Wal-Mart. I bought them two days apart. The one from Wal-Mart is doing great in every way. But what I noticed today leaves me wondering a few things and more or less concerned. I glanced into the tank just in time to see one of my Balas slowly flip onto his back. I quickly moved closer to the tank and he flipped right back over. I have been keeping my eye on him and he will become a little disoriented when going through the bubbles and suchwhat and he seems almost oblivious to what's going on around him. He's only responsive when i practically stick a fishnet in the aquarium (not literally, of course, but you get my point). I'm guessing it could be a swim bladder problem??? Anyone have advice?.........Please?

Hey, thanks for the help...I wasn't expecting a reply so quickly. This forum is really great. Thanks again for your help and i'll post again if I find out what to do.

A Potentially not - so - concerned - citizen

Okay, now my bala has what I think is an infection. His swimming has pretty much returned to normal, but his fins are becoming torn and there is red streaking all over them. I really really need some help. Should I quarantine? Could it be contagious? Should I medicate with antibiotic? and if so...how exactly should I do it? I would really appreciate any advice that anyone can give me.
Thanks,
A very Concerned citizen[/i]

Sounds like a bacterial infection. My favorite for that is Maracyn, use as directed on the package, get treatment started ASAP!!

Hey Concerned_Citizen:

Is coolkidthatlikesfish your brother? We just went thru the same discussion in a very recent post. If not; go take a look at the "sick bala shark! " post from yesterday. Exact same symptoms; you can see what everyone suggested there.

And yeah, it sounds like your guy has Septicemia.

Yeah, thanks you guys so much for all of the advice! Boy, this forum is the best! Right, coolkidthatlikesfish is my bro. I dont know why I didn't just read those posts and run with that. Sorry to waste everyone's time :oops: . I bought Kanacyn and started treatment as directed ( changing 20% of the water, neutralizing chlorine/chloramine, stabilizing pH, raising temp to 82 degrees, and taking out charcoal but leaving in the filter bag to take care of any excess food. I have just a plain Whisper biobag filter.)

I medicated yesterday at around noon and by the looks of the worst infected one today, things are looking a lot better. I have one question though.

The directions say under the best results heading that it is best to medicate only the fish who are suspected of being infected although the product is "fine for the community tank." I thought that after two days of knowing about this thing, the other fish could possibly be infected. This wont hurt anyone will it? I have a pleco and i've read things before advising to watch out for scaleless fish. Does anyone foresee a problem?

Hope it's not too late seeing as how I began medicating yesterday. Next med's are due tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Concerned Citizen

I don't *think* antibiotics are a danger to scaleless fish like some of the poisonous meds (like copper and malachite green) are. I'm not 100% positive tho.

Are you seeing any improvements yet?

Heh, 2 points to me for figuring out your family dynamics *grin*

I've never had a problem with medication and my plecos. They have survived three different medication periods over the past 3 years that I have had them. They've endured Furan, Maracyn, Maracyn-2, and Maroxy. They never even flinched... :)

Yeah, I have actually seen improvements since starting medication 2 days ago (today was the second medication). The redness has cleared up on the most infected fish. Now, the only visible damage is the jaggedness of his fins. Hopefully that will clear up as well. Does anyone know if that is part of Scepticemia (sp?). This Kamacyn is good stuff. I hate using medication unless absolutely necessary but as I have learned, with bacterial infections, it's better to get a jump on things. I'll keep posting as things go on. But for now, it looks like everything is on an uphill climb. I still have one more day left to medicate. Thanks to everyone who has helped me and answered my questions so far.

Thanks again,
Concerned Citizen

P.S.
Kudos to everyone I can remember who has helped me. :wink:

One you complete the anti-biotics, you may want to try a round of Melafix for those torn fins. Great stuff. Its made of tea tree oil; safe for all fish, doesn't muck up your biological filters, and really helps the fish repair torn fins. I've used it with my angelfish when they've had some minor fin rot/torn fins from beating on each other and its worked wonders. Just keep the carbon out till you finish with it (and make sure you've removed most of the anti-biotic from the water with water changes). I wouldn't use it for major infections (like the initial one you had with your bala) but for minor stuff its great.

You can read about it here: http://www.brooklands.co.nz/pharma/melafix.htm

Melafix...I will remember that. I wasn't sure if the finrot came with the infection as a package deal or something like that. So about eliminating the antibiotic with water changes...how many? How frequent? And how much?

It reads on the box of Kamacyn that you can remove all of the antibiotic from your water just by placing the carbon back inside of your filter??? This isn't true? It makes sense to me that water changes would take care of it. Hey, why not just put the carbon back in and do water changes as a double-whammy to take care of the anti-biotics? I still need to know how many, when, and how much, though. Thanks for your help! Need kudos? have a few!

Thanks again,
A not so Concerned_Citizen

The carbon WILL pull the Kamacyn out; tis why they tell you to make sure there is no carbon while you're treating with it (kinda defeats the purpose if its not really in the tank and just sitting in the carbon LOL). I realise now re-reading my last post I utterly forgot to add the bit about the carbon (I didn't even use carbon till about 2 1/2 months ago when I upgraded to an Eclipse system; the carbon is already added to the filter cartridges).

I'd do a partial water change as well; maybe 25% or so, or a 10% change for 3 days running; that combined with the carbon should rid the tank of the Kamacyn. Melafix says its ok to use in combination with other meds; I personally would rather stick to one at a time god forbid something had a reaction. At least I'd be able to better pinpoint the cause.

Oh LOL and no kudos necessary; just let me know if all works out ok :)

Right on! I thought I knew what you were saying all along but I had to make sure. I only have one day left to medicate and all of the redness is gone. I did notice a little bit of a color fade in my biggest black fin shark. But i can't figure out if it is due to the medication seeing as how his color comes back when the light is out. It has always been that way, just not so severe of a color loss. Oh well, I'll have to see if it improves when I stop medicating. Everyone is eating well and being very active so I'm not worried. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for all the advice!

Ryan

Well, today was the last day of medication on the balas. The red is totally gone and even without having to use Melafix, the fins are already on their way to a speedy recovery. I am adding the charcoal into a new filter bag to begin filtration again. Should I do a small water change also? I am leading toward doing that but what does everyone think?

Thanks
Concerned Citizen

I knows its a little post facto, but balas have tricky swim bladders. Almost every bala will flip over in the first 48 hours of a transfer. It's not a sign of a bad problem (usually).

Also, add salt. Small amound of aquarium salt can be good for the fish. They help prevent disease and heal open wounds within days. One of my dollars had scrapes on his sides straight to the muscle and fins almost entirely bone and it healed him in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom