Bala Shark Has A Red Spot With a White Ring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeffsWife

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. I'm very new here and have just found this site while doing research to see what the problem might be with my Bala Shark. See picture for his spot that just showed up this morning. If you check my profile, you will see all the info on the tank. Although I don't have exact numbers, every time I've had my water tested they've said levels were perfect. Bought my 2 sharks as babies the end of November and they've seemed to thrive. Until I noticed this today and I'm concerned. Changed 25% of the water two weeks ago and everything seemed fine. House is on well water which I'm told is best. I put 5 teaspoons of salt in today hoping that would help. Am I doing the right thing? What is this? Did he just rub against something? I'm clueless and appreciate any input.

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I am not familiar with a disease that makes a circle on fish like ring worm would on a mamals skin.
That being said the answer IMO is clearly right in 2 out of the 3 pictures...
Is the circle about the size of the kissing gouramis mouth when it is 'kissing'?
Tankmates

Kissing Gouramis have been known to be quarrelsome with some species of fish and should not be kept with smaller fish. Although they can be kept in a community tank with medium to large size fish, owners should observe them closely to ensure they are not bullying other fish. Kissing Gouramis will sometimes rasp the sides of other fish, stripping them of their slime coat and potentially damaging their skin. If this occurs, it is wise to separate the fish.

^This taken from^; Caring for and Breeding the Kissing Gourami

and maybe it would have been nice to have read this before getting 4!

Kissing Gourami (Helostoma temminckii)
I am usually pretty good with disease,and always against kissing gouramis...
It is just another fish the industry should never sell but we don't know better.
The pet stores that sell them will never tell you about them in honesty if they even know themselves...
I would re home the kissers, and then read about how big your balas may become...
Bala Shark, Silver Shark, Balantiocheilus melanopterus, Tricolor Shark

Thank you so much for your reply. The spot is larger than the "kissing" area. I did consider the gouramis when I discovered the red spot. However, I have never once seen them bully any of the others. That was the consideration when I purchased 4 of them. They tend to keep each other occupied. Also, this Shark has grown quite a bit larger than the gouramis. Do you think it's possible the shark accidentally rubbed himself on a decoration? I know it sounds simple, but am not sure of what else could be an issue.

The gourami is just my best guess.
I checked my disease book again[it is a very good book] and found no disease that had round mark.
Accident or injury is always a possibility with oddball stuff like this.
I actually tagged one of my roseline sharks with my vacuum[pipe] I remove water with and it still today[2 years later] has the round mark on it!
Keep your water clean and watch that bala and all other fish for signs of infection.

I really appreciate your support and research. Interestingly, when I check on him now, the spot doesn't seem to be such a perfect circle and is not as red. See the new picture. Thinking that since it's the widest part of his body, maybe I was right that he just managed to injure himself somehow and the salt I put in the water may have helped a little. I probably just panicked and overreacted as any concerned Momma would do. Lol! I'll be keeping an eye on them tho. Thank you so much again.

Attachments

• IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom