Bala Shark in bad shape, need advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaylaxo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently left and stayed at my friends for a weekend so my grandma was left to feed my fish. They didnt eat through a whole night and morning but were fed the following night. When i came home i realized they were in bad shape, with my bigger bala shark, who is about 5 inches. He had a big part of his right side with scales missing and it was bloody looking. The blood has cleared up but now theres a piece of skin or something hanging off. The scales appear to be healing, but im wondering. Could this be the other ones nipping at it? and what should i do?

k well since no one's replying ill just let him die lol. It's pretty much too late to help him anyways. I know I haven't given all info. that I should have but even suggestions would have helped. Thanks anyways..

what else do you have in the tank? have you ever seen any signs of aggression? and is there anything sharp in the tank/ around the top? sharks jump well...
can you see if its definately flesh hanging off or could it be a parasite?

I know it's deffinately flesh hanging off and my red-tailed is nipping at it now so.. it's in rough shape and I am keeping the water really clean

I wish but i have nothing else that he would fit in otherwise id have to go and spend money

Sounds like he probably got startled and swam into something sharp. Balas spook easily and if it was quiet in the room for hours and then a noisy grandma turned on the lights they will dart away quickly, sometimes into things.

I had a clown loach have a similar problem, but he didn't hang around as long as your bala has so I can't really give any life saving advice. sorry...

that wound is only going to get worse with the other fish around. anything you can use to QT him - bucket/tub, temporary partition in the tank...
not only will they not leave him alone but sharing water with them is going to increase the chances of infection.

Back
Top Bottom