Ballon Molly, sitting / losing color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LudicrouSpeed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1~My male yellow Balloon Molly, stared sitting at the bottom of the tank, near the heater and began to lose color over the past few hours.
2~ 7.8pH, .1ppm TAN / ~.002 free ammonia, 0ppm Nitrites, ~40ppm Nirtates.
3~ 10g tank, set up for some time, although I think it may have cycled after a move 2 months ago, but it been established by a previous owner before then.
4~ I think it's a Whisper, with a Biobag... been in there for 2 weeks.
5~I've got 3 mollies, a platy and a 3 guppies. I also have a breeder net with some fry in it. I know it's a tad overstocked, but not by much.
6~I just cleaned the biobag, did a 30% water change and vacuumed the gravel Saturday. I do this kind of maintenance weekly.
7~I've had the fish for almost 2 months. They've gone through some ups and downs as the pH was too low last week (below 6) and I had to buff it... but everything seemed to have sorted out by Saturday.
8~The only thing I did was break up my Elodea, which had gotten really long, into separate strands, bound them with plastic-coated twisties, and planted the new bundles around the tanks. I don't think this is it, but could the twisties be to blame? The original elodea strand is darker and has a brown streak in it? Is it dying / decaying?
9~I've fed them the same food for the past 2 months. It's granular, supposed to enhance color.

Removed carbon filter. Treating with API General Care. Added 1 TBSP of aquarium salt. I also but him in a breeder net to isolate him from the other male Molly who was picking on him. The fry in there seemed about old enough to come out... hopefully this will be a good litmus test for their survivability and not a huge mistake.

I was in a similar situation this morning, but my guppy didn't make it through the day. I am amazed at the knowledge everyone on here has about their water readings, I have no idea and even if I did test, I don't know what would be ideal. I was going to move my guppy in with my 3-4 week old fry but thought he might have given them something.

It's simple. Ammonia and Nitrites should be 0. pH depends on the fish, but nitrification doesn't take place below 6. People argue about Nitrates, but supposedly under 40 is better than over.

Ammonia gets more complex when you consider the difference between the total ammonia (TAN: toxic free ammonia plus harmless ammonium) and just the toxic free ammonia... that's what needs to be 0.

I do weekly tests, but I also have a SeaChem Ammonia Alert and pH Sensor in my tank, and they're pretty accurate.

I've only been at this for 2 months, so just give it a little time and you'll learn the things you need to know.

Back
Top Bottom