Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2004, 09:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Balloon bellied mollies breathing hard.

I have three balloon bellied mollies (and a cory) in my ten gallon tank. Lately, they seem to be sick. They are very lethargic, their gills seem to be working extra hard and they have long poop strings hanging off of them. I do regular water changes and the parameters tested fine. Any ideas?

Old 08-22-2004, 09:52 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Usually breathing hard has to do with water quality, and the first suspect would be nitrite. Long, stringy poop can mean a parasitic infection.

Can you post the exact water parameters?

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 01:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

i use distilled water from wal-mart on my 30% water changes. is that healthy? it says it is manufactured from reverse osmosis. I'll have to get back to you on the exact parameters.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

No, I've always heard (and I may be wrong but this is what I've heard) that you should NOT use distilled water. It's like "Stripped" water if you will- it has none of the minerals usually necessary for the fish to be healthy. If I were you I'd test the distilled water by itself and see how the parameters come out- the pH levels may be different enough fromt hat in your tap or tank to cause problems...

Tags
balloon, breathing, eat, mollies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com