Bamboo Shrimp Freaking Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NimbusPrime

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I just picked up two Bamboo shrimp for my ten gallon tank. I have one brown and one red. The red one's doing just fine and filtering away and loving on the live plants. But, my brown boy started acting really crazy today. He's swimming around the tank and trying to crawl up the sides. He also has his "back" arched and keeps stoking at his belly with his back legs.
Any one have any idea what's going on? I just got them on Saturday and I'd really rather not lose them this fast...

NimbusPrime said:
So I just picked up two Bamboo shrimp for my ten gallon tank. I have one brown and one red. The red one's doing just fine and filtering away and loving on the live plants. But, my brown boy started acting really crazy today. He's swimming around the tank and trying to crawl up the sides. He also has his "back" arched and keeps stoking at his belly with his back legs.
Any one have any idea what's going on? I just got them on Saturday and I'd really rather not lose them this fast...

Weird I have a ghost shrimp doing that I just thought they might be pregnant Idk tho I would like to know on that one to:p

Pregnant? Ah geeze....I don't think that's going to work out with my tank...
Not to mention my platties started messing with him/her... :(

NimbusPrime said:
Pregnant? Ah geeze....I don't think that's going to work out with my tank...
Not to mention my platties started messing with him/her... :(

I'm not entirely sure but in my situation I want them to breed but I have been told half the time the baby's don't survive through molting because not enough calcium but I have ghost shrimp and you have bamboo shrimp so I don't know about that ill follow this thread see if I can figure it out have you googled what's going on yet? If not I'd try that:)

do you have a place for them to hide like a small cave? if they're anything like the bamboo shrimp I had they're more on the nocturnal side, or could be the start of a moult

manbeast said:
do you have a place for them to hide like a small cave? if they're anything like the bamboo shrimp I had they're more on the nocturnal side, or could be the start of a moult

I just put a Mason jar in there and they go in there and hide out and brush underneath there tail it started yesterday and its the biggest one that's doing it and she's a little bit under a inch long and oh jeeze I don't want them dying on me from molting :/

I've got a hollow log that they can and have been hiding in. But now I'm even more concerned if they're molting because my platties have been rather aggressive towards them already. And I think they've been stressing my Rubber-Lip pleco too because he's not acting himself :(
Now I feel like I've made my whole tank uncomfortable because I wanted a little diversity...

NimbusPrime said:
I've got a hollow log that they can and have been hiding in. But now I'm even more concerned if they're molting because my platties have been rather aggressive towards them already. And I think they've been stressing my Rubber-Lip pleco too because he's not acting himself :(
Now I feel like I've made my whole tank uncomfortable because I wanted a little diversity...

When did you get them? If just recently they might be adjusting so you might have to get another hiding spot for the pleco and if you feel uncomfortable with your decision you can return them to your lfs

These shrimp are filter feeders and need a current to survive. If there isn't sufficient flow of the water, the shrimp may simply be trying to escape in order to survive. Increase the currents in the tank and see what happens.

bs6749 said:
These shrimp are filter feeders and need a current to survive. If there isn't sufficient flow of the water, the shrimp may simply be trying to escape in order to survive. Increase the currents in the tank and see what happens.

I have a Bio wheel for a 30 gallon tank in a 20 and I think that should be enough current cause it pushes my fish around but they love to swim through it lol::p

I've read that they need upwards of 20G tanks for one. Theyre might not be enough food for 2 in a 10G. Hopefully someone else will chime in on the stocking:)

Personally, I wouldn't keep a bamboo shrimp in anything less than a 29g. I have heard of some success in smaller, tanks, but its easier to keep them happy in larger tanks because of the current as was previously stated. Bamboo shrimp are obligate filter feeders, they are also very sensitive to water quality issues.
Do you have a test kit to check your water parameters? I suggest doing a pwc. Are you using any sort of supplemental invert food? To live in a tank that small, they will need supplemental feeding in addition to the spare bits they naturally catch in the current.
Some bamboo shrimp are suicidal escape artists too. So, some will try and climb out of the tank even in good conditions. I had one who always tried to climb out of my tank and would just sit above the water line sometimes even though my params were great and he was getting fed. He still lived a nice, long shrimp life despite this habit (my tank was well-covered). :) Having enough hiding places can curb this behavior in most individuals, but some will always try to climb IME.
Another thing to note, although you may well already know of this, is that bamboo shrimp are wild-caught critters and a lot of them are often rather unhealthy from improper keeping before they make it to your tank. Even if all your conditions are perfect, they can be hard to keep alive. Also, there is no way of knowing how old they are at the time of purchase, so they may already be very old.
Good luck with your little guys. Let us know about the water parameters and if anything changes.

Thank you all for the great adive! Unforchenatly, I was uncomfortable with my purchase and my plattie weren't having the new shrimp so I returned them to my Lfs. Everyone seems more comfortable without the shrimp, but I still feel bad :(

Back
Top Bottom