Barbel erosion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've only seen a few reasons for far for barbel erosion. My water quality is fine:
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates above 0 and less than 5
PH 8.2

I have 8 neons and 4 Cory cars (false julii)

The substrate is super naturals fine sand. All I can think of is the sand has a tendency to develop dead spots. I turn it up at every water change. And there was a cave I'm there. The water inside would stink. This last week I took it out. Otherwise I change 50% of the water and vac rake the sand once a week.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Jana

I'm going with unhealthy substrate and changing it out. It sucks but I hope it works!

Yay our barbels are back!

Attachments

• image-2026031210.jpg
    image-2026031210.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 61
Your Corydoras

I've only seen a few reasons for far for barbel erosion. My water quality is fine:
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates above 0 and less than 5
PH 8.2

I have 8 neons and 4 Cory cars (false julii)

The substrate is super naturals fine sand. All I can think of is the sand has a tendency to develop dead spots. I turn it up at every water change. And there was a cave I'm there. The water inside would stink. This last week I took it out. Otherwise I change 50% of the water and vac rake the sand once a week.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Jana

Hello j...

Corydoras prefer a lower pH. Actually, neutral is ideal. I've kept these fish for several years, but never used sand. It can become compacted in areas and develope voids that may create water chemistry problems. The tiny pieces can be sharp and likely abrasive. If the fish have been in this type of substrate for some time, then it could be the problem.

If you can get them into another tank or possibly replace the substrate. I've always used pea-sized gravel. Anyway, barbels will repair themselves in time, usually two to three months.

Enriching their diet could be helpful. A combination of frozen foods and a little minced garlic is good. The frozen is especially nutritious and the garlic is a natural antibiotic and high in vitamins. I feed it on occassion.

Just a couple of the thoughts.

B

Great advice! I think that is actually what brought their barbels back. I know it wasn't a nitrate problem. BUT the sand in that tank was way too find and did back.

They are in a tank now with PFS and this tank averages a 7.4 where my other tank runs about 8.2 pH. So far so good! In the other tank I did replace the substrate to blasting sand but I have C. Hasbrosus in there now (in hindsight not so smart). I have been losing them quite fast either a pH issue OR pH varying during a water change. I am hoping for the second but may put PFS in there too.

I am so glad my False Juliis are ok :) I'll keep the pH in mind. The 28 gallon that i have has such a small foot print lots of driftwood isn't as easy. In the 75? piece of cake. Actually now that I think about it maybe I should move the C Hasbrosus in with the Peppered and Trilineatus. That tank has a much lower pH. Hmmm something to mull over :)

Jana

Back
Top Bottom