Battling fin rot for weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YoungGuppy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I originally got 7 guppy/Endler hybrids and added to my new tank. The biggest pregnant female's tail fin started to disappear and turn white (pictures in my album). And another died; this was a month ago.

Since then I've done weekly 50% water changes and added salt. (Tablespoon per 5gallons). The female had three fry and is still living, I thought she would be dead by now.

The fin was growing back but now it seems to be getting bad again and has a small whole in the middle. I think she's the only one affected (I recently added 5 more fish), everyone's doing fine except for her.

I've used medicine in the past and it killed all my fish, so I really don't want to add anything other then salt.

I'm wondering what other disease this could be and what else I can do for her, I think she's pregnant again.

16 gallon innovative marine,
lightly planted,
13 guppies (3 fry)

Here's an updated picture I just took.

New picture. She now has yellow.

Attachments

• image-1648271196.jpg
    image-1648271196.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 110
  • image-4280997048.jpg
    image-4280997048.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 101
  • image-3589069627.jpg
    image-3589069627.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 112
I can understand you being hesitate about wanting to use medicines, especially if you've had issues in the past. But it seems like you have a strong lil fish there who just needs a little help. I would strongly suggest using API's melafix, it's all natural and will quickly aid in helping their fins heal. It's available at Petsmart/ Petco, for about $12. Make sure you first remove your carbon filter, and as far as dosing you'll add 1 tsp per 5 gallons. After 1 week, do a partial water change, 20-30%, depending on how severe the fin rot is you may have to do it another week. As long as they look healthy, are eating and acting normal, then just keep an eye on her condition to make sure it doesn't get any worse. As long as its treated early, she should be fine.

I can understand you being hesitate about wanting to use medicines, especially if you've had issues in the past. But it seems like you have a strong lil fish there who just needs a little help. I would strongly suggest using API's melafix, it's all natural and will quickly aid in helping their fins heal. It's available at Petsmart/ Petco, for about $12. Make sure you first remove your carbon filter, and as far as dosing you'll add 1 tsp per 5 gallons. After 1 week, do a partial water change, 20-30%, depending on how severe the fin rot is you may have to do it another week. As long as they look healthy, are eating and acting normal, then just keep an eye on her condition to make sure it doesn't get any worse. As long as its treated early, she should be fine.

I guess I'll cave and get some melafix. Considered it before but you talked me into it. I'll let you know how she does!

You might also consider getting some Indian Almond Leaves. I'm fairly sure you can get them mail order if local sources don't have them.

They have their own antibiotic properties, as well as adding tannic and humic acids to the water, which fish mostly appreciate. Guppy/Endlers certainly would like this. It will colour the water, similar to wood, but that can be dealt with later with water changes.

You can either place a couple of leaves in the tank, and replace them when they become skeletal, or you can make tea, with two or three leaves to a gallon of treated water, left cold and brewing for about 48 hours. Use several cups of the tea per water change after the initial dose of several cups. You want the water to be yellowish at least.

I used these to help heal two Bettas with severe fin damage. One had rubbed off much of his finnage on rough substrate before I got him. The other had ripped off his own tail, before a show, and the owner asked me to take him, as she was going away.

The almond leaves and some salt resulted in significant new tissue growth in a fairly short time for both fish. The rubbed fins grew nearly a half inch on the gill fins, a quarter inch on the ventral one. The ripped off tail had a fringe of new tissue over an eighth inch wide on every torn edge inside of six weeks, before the fish committed suicide.. sigh.. he was clearly not meant to live a long life, that one.

If you can get the leaves, they are worth a try.

You might also consider getting some Indian Almond Leaves. I'm fairly sure you can get them mail order if local sources don't have them.

They have their own antibiotic properties, as well as adding tannic and humic acids to the water, which fish mostly appreciate. Guppy/Endlers certainly would like this. It will colour the water, similar to wood, but that can be dealt with later with water changes.

You can either place a couple of leaves in the tank, and replace them when they become skeletal, or you can make tea, with two or three leaves to a gallon of treated water, left cold and brewing for about 48 hours. Use several cups of the tea per water change after the initial dose of several cups. You want the water to be yellowish at least.

I used these to help heal two Bettas with severe fin damage. One had rubbed off much of his finnage on rough substrate before I got him. The other had ripped off his own tail, before a show, and the owner asked me to take him, as she was going away.

The almond leaves and some salt resulted in significant new tissue growth in a fairly short time for both fish. The rubbed fins grew nearly a half inch on the gill fins, a quarter inch on the ventral one. The ripped off tail had a fringe of new tissue over an eighth inch wide on every torn edge inside of six weeks, before the fish committed suicide.. sigh.. he was clearly not meant to live a long life, that one.

If you can get the leaves, they are worth a try.

Glad it worked for you, I will have to try those if melafix doesn't work. I just bought it and dosed my tank. She looks A LOT worse today. I really don't know how she's still alive.

Attachments

• image-808797386.jpg
    image-808797386.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 97
  • image-2097875269.jpg
    image-2097875269.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 96
Yeah. I've used about 3/4 of the 4oz bottle of Melafix and she is not getting better at all. Predicting she will die within a week. She's sitting on the bottom. Struggling to swim as she has absolutely no tail left. Her color has also darkened quite a bit. I wish I could do something else. She is a fighter

Pictures of her today. ),:

Attachments

• image-3933336917.jpg
    image-3933336917.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 90
  • image-4143306732.jpg
    image-4143306732.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 96
I had some luck using Maracyn Two to treat fin rot. It contains minocycline, a tetracycline. Also used aquarium salt at 1 tbsp per 5 gal. Melafix is good for scrapes.

I'm sure you have done loads of research, but I found this article on fin rot by Neale Monk. He's a very knowledgable guy - I've found his advice very useful on a number of occasions. One thing he mentions is that anything based on tea tree oil, iow, Melafix, is not likely to work on severe cases of fin rot. It can be a good preventative, and may work on minor cases, but is not able to cure it when it's advanced.

The article is here. Aquarium Fish Finrot

He mentions several antibiotics available in the US that may be of much more help with this disease. If it's not too late, you may yet save this poor fish, by trying an antibiotic product instead of Melafix.

Do large frequent water changes and you won't have these problems. Fin rot is due to bad water. You don't need salt, or meds. Water changes is what is needed. You certainly don't need meds for scrapes. Fish heal extremely fast especially with clean water.

I'd agree with that advice most of the time but this fish is in critical condition now. Water changes alone won't deal with an advanced case, though they are a very good method to prevent it happening again.

Some fish may get fin rot for reasons other than poor water conditions. Injury from nipping is one cause that hasn't got much to do with water quality. If the fish was perhaps a weak one to begin with, and got nipped, fin rot could result from the injury. And now it's so advanced, the fish is in big trouble. If the infection gets into the bloodstream the fish is going to die.

Antibiotics are likely the only thing that might help at this stage.

I'd agree with that advice most of the time but this fish is in critical condition now. Water changes alone won't deal with an advanced case, though they are a very good method to prevent it happening again. Some fish may get fin rot for reasons other than poor water conditions. Injury from nipping is one cause that hasn't got much to do with water quality. If the fish was perhaps a weak one to begin with, and got nipped, fin rot could result from the injury. And now it's so advanced, the fish is in big trouble. If the infection gets into the bloodstream the fish is going to die. Antibiotics are likely the only thing that might help at this stage.

Thanks for the info!
Unfortunately she died yesterday...
Wish I would have known about the antibiotic earlier ),:

I am sorry for your loss. It is unfortunate. Until I did a fairly extensive search, I'd never heard of using antibiotics for fin rot either. Almond leaves and even banana leaves, apparently have some natural antibiotic properties, but there isn't much info on just what bacteria they may act against.

I hope you don't have another problem like this one again, but if you ever do, at least you will know there are other options besides Melafix.

If there is just a small area of the fin that's damaged, it's minor. If it soon responds to treatment, it's minor. Very clean water, extra changes, perhaps Melafix, as it can be useful early on. Salt, possibly, for salt tolerant species, but it's not a specific for this problem.

If rot is continuing to get worse despite treatment, it's becoming serious. If it gets to the point where it actually reaches the body, it's very, very serious. At that point, the infection may get into the bloodstream and cause sepsis.. blood poisoning is another term for that.

If the fish has lost a significant amount of fin tissue, near or at the body, and if it is showing other signs of illness, refusal to eat, sitting on the bottom, etc., they are signs the infection may have progressed to general sepsis, which will soon lead to death.

Any fin rot can become serious if not treated. And if the underlying cause is not sorted out, it can spread to other fish, though it's not common to have every fish affected. Some will be more susceptible than others.

Very often it is related to less than ideal water conditions but it can also be due to bites or nips or some other injury. The causative agents are always in tank water, but normally cause no problems for healthy fish. Opportunistic infections take hold when some weakness or water problem allows them to.

I I noticed tiny tip of fish I bought came with a lil bit barely noticeable I added Melafix to water

image-4049008083.jpg

It's its top fin on back end of it

Back
Top Bottom