beat up looking Serpae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talon242

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought 4 serpae tetras today. On closer inspection 3 of them are looking really healthy while one looks kind of beat up. One of its eyes has a dead look to it like its all cloudy/hazy. And it looks like it has some kind of a wound on its head. :( It didn't eat when I fed it either. I don't know what I should do.

If you have no QT, I suggest to leave him live with the others, and see how it continues. Or bring it back soon to the LFS and request a new fish.

Sorry, but no big surprise. If you have some guarantee (some LFS do), take it back and request a new, healthy serpae tetra. Your tetras need to be at least 4 to feel safe. Do not forget to acclimate the new guy (or any new fish) well before putting him in the tank. Let the bag rest 30 min in the tank to get temperature, then put the bag water and fish in a bowl, and add tank water equiv to 1/4 of the bag water in the bowl. Let rest 15 min, add the same quantity again, let rest 15 min, and maybe even a 3rd time. Then net the fish in the bowl and transfer it fast into the tank. Do *not* pour any bag water in the tank.

That helps a lot unstress the fish (they are still a bit stressed, but at least not from water params differences)

Yeah, thats the way I acclimated them. I plan on getting a few more on monday when I buy some plants for them. The other three are really active.

Its a 50 gallon tank. I tried a fishless cycle but it didn't seem to work out, 7 weeks and nothing changed. I'm patient but not that patient so I did a huge water change bought some live plants and so far these are the only fish in there.

7 weeks is too long. Probably you screwed up somewhere, as it is a safe, proven method. Make your tank cycle with the few tetras, and then slowly increase the load.

Just a note about serpaes - they have a social structure that makes them much happier in groups of at least 6, but more is better. When I had 4 the bickering in quarrantine was very violent, and one fish lost half his tail, and almost died from the constant attacks. When I added 3 more everything calmed down and the half-tail was left alone and grew his tail back. When there are more than a few they can all assume a certain rank in the school and everyone is happy. I think of them as being very much like tiger barbs in this regard.

As far as your cycle, were you stuck on the nitrite plateau? My longest took a little over 6 weeks but finally got there. The plants should help immensely, and since it is a 50 stick with the fish you have for now (in spite of the above paragraph, LOL!) and they might have enough room to keep the aggression down, and then once you are cycled add more.

Good luck, and you will get there!

When I got the ammonia level to 4.0 ppm and then I was waiting for nitrites and nothing ever got started. Anyways now one of the others looks like it may be heading the same place the other one did, its tip of its head looks bright red like blood. Maybe im over reacting but idk. I really hope a few more will help out.

Edit: I think I'm going to return these and get columbian tetras instead.

These tetras sound ill, take them all back. You may want to find a different LFS before buying more fish. Definitely look around and make sure the next batch is healthy.

Oh dear! Keep the bodies and bring them back to the LFS. (My LFS also requires a separate water sample, which they test.) Call ahead to the LFS so you have everything they require to get credit.

Back
Top Bottom