Before you ask what's wrong...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deeni0z

Aquarium Advice Freak
Please post your parameters:
pH, temperature, type of fish afflicted, affliction (what's wrong with the fish like it's bloated, looks like it has ich, etc), ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, this way we don't have to spend valuable time asking you what your parameters are while you're waiting for a possible remedy to your ailing fish. This way we can all help each other! :D

Interesting post deeni0z!! Kudos to you!!
If we can come up with a compact, yet complete list of Qs, I will make a sticky out of it. Here are the Qs I ask:
Answer these Qs:
~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp)?
~ How large is the tank?
~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?
~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
~How long have you had the fish?
~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlor, new substrate, etc.?

We can combine lists at the end. What else do you think is necessary to ask?

How about including the pH? pH varies from fish to fish. A pH for tetras of 6.5 is ok, but if someone posted that pH for African cichlids, that would probably mean trouble.

How about filtration? Especially with bettas, if someone says they have a high filter flow, I can point that out as being a possible source of stress for the betta. Also with "messy" fish like goldfish or plecos -- if they don't have adequate filtration, they may be stressed.

I know it's a big question list, but it really helps to know all that!

Okay! Any more Qs we should add?!?
This list can be used in the SW ill fish forum, XXFirefighter, you'll be the contact person for that. Is there anything special SW people need to add as far as water parameters go?

TO bad we cant make it like a form. :mrgreen:

Thats great advice and your getting some kudos for your suggestion.

How about indicating under tank parameters that you are looking for specific numbers, not descriptions like 'fine' or 'the fish store said it was ok'? I don't know exactly how to word it, but it seems to come up a lot.
Just a suggestion. :?

When you do water changes how much and how often...?
How did and how long did you acclimate for...?
I'll think of more...
We don't want to add too much....

I combined everyone's suggestions, have I left anything out?
Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the beset of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Back
Top Bottom