Being paranoid...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just upgraded to a 20 gallon tank 2 days ago, and there seems to be some weird things going on, or it could just be me worrying but...

The first day I moved my 2 platies & snail over, the snail (pond) was writhing, squirming and just floating a lot, and the next morning I found him in the filter :( did he starve because there was no algae? I put some lettuce in there for him? Or does this show something bad in the water? There may have been .20 ammo or so in there, but nothing he hasnt handled before...

The platies seem ok I think... The one sometimes lists to one side (the same side eve time) He's always been weaker on one side than the other, but I've never seen him lean before.

The other one is really small (I think he must be a pygmy platy) and he never seems to eat. This isn't new, just the way it's always been. He'll take in food, chew it a couple times,then spit it out. Ice had him for 3 months now and he hasn't starved to death... So I'm assuming he is actually eating...

This morning I noticed that the ends (around 3 mm?) of the platies tail were clear, and had no color, which seems really odd to me. None of the tails are missing, just see through.

I don't know how hyper platies are supposed to be, but mine have never been real active, they sit in one spot, hover, move to another place, hover, but they're always together. Is this normal? And they hide quite a bit, out the light. Should I put more platies in for company?

Levels are good, there may be a slight trace of ammo since the bio filter is adjusting to the size of the tank, but no nitrite and 5 nitrate. Ph has always been 8.3.

When I upgraded I put in rocks that I found at a beach. I put them in vinegar to test for leeching substances, then boiled them. And I have nepheline syenite as my substrate, which is also new.

If someone could help me it would really help, whenever I see them I'm just constantly worried... Especially now that the snail died...

They sound stressed. Give them a few days to adjust. Them losing color is also normal when adjusting to new environments. They should get their color back in their tails once they are adjusted and established in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom