Belly-less

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlatyLady

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,

One of my platies has lost weight. She's still acting normal, so I don't know if she's sick. Here are some before/after pics, let me know if you think it's a significant weight loss. Maybe I'm wrong.

(the first two pics are her this morning, the third is her almost two months ago, with what I think is a much fuller belly)

I would watch the behavior for anything outside the usual, unless she had babies, this isn't usually a good sign.

Even after my platy had babies she didn't get that small. That is interesting in a serious kind of way. Yes, keep an eye on her. Is she the one that had the black poop a couple of days ago?

I did find a fry, who might be hers, but the jury's still out on that one.

Yes, tkos, she's the one with the black poop a couple days ago.

Here are the latest monster pics - she might be the mom...

Well I hope she is just in a post birthing stage. Perhaps all of her black poop was from eating fry. Hmmmm. Keep watching her and fill us in. I will want to know how things go in case my mom platy goes through the same thing (she is the same type as yours).

Thanks tkos. She'd been chowing down on guppy fry pretty eagerly, and I don't think there are any left. My other platy who had fry didn't seem to have this prob. I'll let you know how things go.

Perhaps she should be quarantined?

If you have a spare tank then maybe it isn't a bad idea. If she isn't sick she might be weak and that could give her a chance to put on some holiday weight.

Hrmm. I don't like the way she looks. and the funny dark poo sounds sorta ominous as well.

I'd also isolate her. If you can find Pepso food, I'd suggest giving it a go. Its an antiparasitical but also has an antibiotic in it. While I can't say for sure whats going on, I do think its intestinal, and medicated food might help (and won't muck up the nitrifying bacteria if you use some mature filter media from the regular tank).

PlatyLady, yes I'd say Betty is looking kind of skinny. I have 5 platies and whether before/after birth, they never look that skinny. I don't know about black poop either, but it seems out of the ordinary. Maybe it is from eating fry?!

I had a guppy that did the same thing it wasn't eating and also started swimming funny. I put it the a seperate tank and treated with a broad spectrum medication (Methylene Blue, Malachite Green and Acriflavine).

It got better very quickly.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I put her in qt Saturday morning. She didn't like being moved, but is acting normal again, and pooping the right colour too. I've been feeding her a little bit several times a day, and she is eating it - not ravenously, but still eating.

I haven't found the medicated food yet, but I have time to go tomorrow again.

My "Healthy Fish" book suggests a couple of things (not clear if this only for Discus though) -
for weight loss and diarrhea (the black stuff?) - capillaria worms.
for weight loss and emaciation - coccidia (internal protozoa),

and some corresponding treatments. I think I'll take it along with me when I go find that medicated food.

Back
Top Bottom