Bent back in one day - otherwise lively

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelfin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I'm posting a picture of one of my fish (I think he's a zebra tetra). One day he was fine, and the next he was bent!

He isn't acting odd, however. He's acting perfectly normal. Just bent.

I read some other posts and it looks like TB or a fungal infection is suspected in those cases (though those fish seemed to be exhibiting signs of stress). Here's what I'd like to know:

* What's the most likely suspect?
* Why is he still lively? Does this mean I've caught it early?
* What are the odds that this is contagious? Specifically - I don't have a quarantine tank. Does euthanasia seem like the best option?

All my fish have been alive more than a year - the tank itself is about 3 years old and has had minimal problems so far, though we do have a massive amount of minke (sp?) algae.

Attachments

• Bent fish.jpg
    Bent fish.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 3,760
It's a zebra danio. One of my zebras did that a month or two ago. Had a twitchy head, slightly crooked neck and could only swim in circles. Because of that it started to get thin (couldn't compete for food enough to eat well) and I put him in a separate tank, where he moped. Eventually I got tired of the moping, and put him back in the main tank. He's almost entirely better now.

So what happened? I don't know. Rough play, maybe. None of my other fish have had this problem. But as long as there are places for it to rest, and if it has a decent chance to feed, I'd leave it where it's at.

Might have been swimming so fast he forgot that there was glass there?

mine also did this, not only my zebra's. but a few different danios have had hunchback, it goes just as quick as it comes.

Still kicking...er...swimming

It's been 6 days and still no signs of distress, but no unbending either. I'll post again when there's any change. No other fish are showing any signs of problems.

I think he has a case of the "bends". hehe Came up from the bottom too fast n stuff like human divers ya know.
lol

Sorry I could not resist that pun shot. I hope all goes well for the little guy and he makes a recovery tho.

I do recall when I worked for the only LFS we had within 10 miles that was reputable our danios would do this and had several customers a month with the same issue, same zebra danios. We couldnt figure it out because not all of em had it and even the ones that did were energetic and rarely died on us.

Ive had alot of Danios over the years, mainly because there one of my favorite little fish and have had a few that there backs seem to bend. Ive seen it where it has lasted there entire lives and then some who seem to straighten back up after a while.

I have a platy that just did that and I'm freaking out a little too. Hope she straightens out, hard to look at her without feeling bad:(

Well...the danio's dead. He was still moving and eating fine yesterday, but this morning he was floating. So far I haven't seen any other fish exhibiting similar symptoms - he was my last remaining danio.

So that was 4/16 - 5/11...almost a month from symptom to death.

Back
Top Bottom