Bent Backs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richiestang_78

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just looked in my tank and one of my Danios and one of my Rummy Noses have bent backs. The Danio looks like its arched and the Rummy Nose is in the opposite bend. What can cause this?

Fish tuberculosis can cause bent spines. I am not an expert on this, though, and I don't know if there are other conditions that do the same thing. You might search the site for more information, or start a post about fish TB and see if any of the experts chime in.

Good luck with this....It sounds terrible.

This can also be caused by genetic defects. There is a school of thought that such fish should be euthanased due to pain and suffering and the chance that breeding will pass on unwanted traits. I assume that you won't be breeding these fish so the latter is probably not an issue.

I know nothing about fish TB, other than it is completely unrelated to TB in mammals.

Matroxx,

Is it transferrable to humans? I seem to remember there are only a handful of diseases/parasites people can contract from our fish/inverts but TB was one of them?

Back
Top Bottom