Best treatment for black spot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kari

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'd like to get opinions on the best treatment for black spot disease...any suggestions?

There are many reasons that fish may have black spots,,depending on the species of fish,,and the genetic line it comes from there may be black spots from pigment alone, and not nescessarily posing a health risk. Bettas come to mind,,many strains of bettas have black spots around the head region.

Some wild types of fish like silvr dollars, pacus, and even piranhas will have a parasite whose larvae appear as black spots. Cercaria sp come to mind. These require snails and even birds to carry out their life cycle and in the absence of these the parasite cannot carry out it's life cycle.

You didn't make any comments about what is specifically going on in your tank so it is hard to give precise advice, but I can say that you should not add any medications until you've diagnosed specifically what you have,,and as long as the wate quality is perfect then I'd be skeptical about adding anything. Bill

Cae

chinese algae eater is bloated and has black spots all over them, is this black ick? because he was gold.

Shelley

Back
Top Bottom