Best Treatment for Fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Asbestos

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I suspect two of my fish to have fin rot, and i was wondering if anyone has had any success with any of the medications available at my LFS. Or does any one have any recommendations for medication that worked well for them.

Always a good idea to get water tested when fish show abnormal behaivor to see that ammonia and nitrites are zero ,and nitrAtes are no higher than 20 ppm.
If conditions are anything but those mentioned, medications will have little effect.
Agree that clean water is often best medicine.

I had my two silver dollars go through this fin rot...I started with more frequent water changes/gravel cleaning. Did 35% PWC every 3 days for about a month and it wasn't helping. So I purchased some tetracyclin 250mg...after a full treatment, I actually think their fin rot got worse...and my water was red from the anti-biotics. So I finally decided to transfer those 2 silver dollars into a QT. Doing 50% water changes every 2 days in the QT solved the problem. I don't know why it didn't work in the main tank...the main tank is 36 gal. and the QT is a 10 gal.

Back
Top Bottom