Best treatment for ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jillixs44

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a novice aquarium owner, but I love my fish and this is my first experience with anything like this.

A little background:
-20 gallon freshwater tank
-up and running for over 2 years with no issues
-partial water change 2 weeks ago
-2 black neon tetras
-4 guppys
-1 neon blue dwarf guarami added 2 months ago
- no change in food
-no other recent changes EXCEPT

On Monday (4 days ago) I received a pleco (not exactly sure what kind) as a gift (bought from a pet store). Two days later, it died. This morning I didn't notice anything wrong with my fish. Tonight, my fish are all covered with small grain-like white spots.

Unfortunately, I had previously planned to be out of town this weekend and have to leave the care of my aquarium in someone else's hands. Any treatment I will need to pass along to a friend so specific directions would be greatly appreciated. I haven't had a lot of time to look into treatment but I have read mixed things about raising water temperature or additives. The person caring for my fish will be willing to go buy anything necessary, but I only have access to a Petco. (I can order things online, but I'm worried they won't be here in time to save my fish).

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the heat treatment. I've always had good luck with that. I try to slowly raise the temp to 90 over the course of a few days. Then leave the temp there for 10 days after the last time you saw any visible signs of ich on a fish. So long as the species you keep can tolerate that heat (most should be able to for a relatively short period of time like that) that would be my recommendation.

I bought a pleco for my birthday, and it gave my platties itch. It died, and another was really sick before I realized what was wrong. I used Herbtana fresh water microbe-lift.

I used half the recommended dose, but twice a day, for half the recommended time line, and the itch disappeared.

I have been battling ick for about a week and am using the heat and salt method.

Unfortunately , I noticed it too late and lost 4 cichlids.

I have the heat at 87 and salt at 1/2 cup per 10 gallons and it is almost all gone. Took about 3 days to see the turnaround.

I think early detection is key because of the lifecycle , and the fact you cannot treat the actual parasite on the fish.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really agree. For each method I've found early detection and a treatment plan ready to go really helps (like anything I guess). Thank goodness for forums going 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom