Best treatment for ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jgcheneveygray

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon, fully cycled. I bought an angelfish the other day and now it seems it has developed a few white spots. I have turned up the heat. What is the best method for treating ick? I was thinking about adding salt, but I have a pleco and am worried it will kill it. Please advise. I went through this when I first started my tank and all the fish died.

I am trying to raise the temp but it seems it won't go any higher then 82. I hope I don't need a new heater. Doing water changes, only the one fish has it. I just bought him on Sunday. I will keep at it. Do you think I need a new heater? It is turned all the way up.

That would make me think that the heater is not powerful enough to bring the tank up to the needed temp, might be worth upgrading or getting an extra one.

It is a marineland heater. It used to get the tank up to 86, but no more. I think changing the water keeps bringing the temp down. I live in South Florida so the water isn't that cold. I will probably go to the pet store tonight and get a new heater. Hate to have to spend the money right now, but I also don't want my parrotfish to die.

I know my heater is set to 29deg however tank is only 26deg, hopefully a 300w Fluval heater will be ok at heating up my new 55g if need be.

So just raising the temp didn't help. I ended up treating with Quick cure for four days. Ich is now gone, replaced filters. The fish that didn't get the ich ended up have cloudy eyes, but they are almost fully healed. Thinking of investing in a quarantine tank as this all happened after I bought 3 new fish :(

Back
Top Bottom