Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2020, 01:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

best way to cure fin rot without meds?

so my betta has had fin rot for about a month ever since his heater failed one weekend when i was away (he had been almost done recovering from fin rot that he got at the pet store, but i believe that the heater going out ruined progress). i was doing water changes once a week at 30% with IAL in his tank, but things have gotten slightly worse. his fins are a bit more frayed and the splits have deepened a bit. i have paraguard on hand, more IAL, and furan 2, but really do not want to medicate as i don't want to wreck my cycle and just try to stay away from chemicals in general (and my quarentine/hospital tank is being used right now). i also would like to avoid aquarium salt being used as i know once it's in the tank you can't easily get it out. tank is a 5.5 gal, 78F, cycled with a sponge filter. parameters: 0/0/10.

what would you say the best course of action is from here? i know more frequent water changes are recommended, but not sure how many to do. there are 2 leaves in the tank that have been in there for a month, should i add in some new ones? i used to just use meds right away to treat fish but want to stay away from it now that i've gotten a better understanding/experience in the hobby.

Old 11-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is some information on fin rot, hope it helps.

https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/10-3-4-fin-rot/

Old 11-10-2020, 06:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thanks! that is helpful
Old 01-26-2021, 12:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

SALT BATHS!!!
Also, peroxide on the fins..
Old 01-26-2021, 02:09 AM   #5
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

best way to cure fin rot without meds?

Same thought on salt - had some success with it. Assuming no plants then can’t see an issue with water changes removing.

Generally the older the tank / filter the stronger the bacterial population I find. Triple sulpha or furan 2 into water column or medicated food. The tetracycline group meds are one that will get nullified by higher kh and they do suit medicated feeds or low kh water. But assuming you are US there is a range you could try.

I’d think it all depends how bad it is. Mild cases I think just water changes may solve, worse cases into treatments.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is some more information on natural medications.

Tags
cure, fin, fin rot, rot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com