Beta Splendens disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnRo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good Morning Guys,

I'm new here so let me present myself:

My name is João(John) and I'm from Brazil

Recently I decided to buy a fish for my kid(2 years old) and ended up being a Betta with a ~ 2 liters aquarium+thermometer( I know thats not ideal but i'm low on $$).

I used to clean the aquarium 2x week + Hot water and blankets to keep it warm(hey you gotta do what you gotta do). It went well for a year almost, but after it showed a lethargic behavior staying at bottom which made me think it was some kind of dropsy, but since it was floating fine, I changed my mind to a infection. I treated it with anti fungal+neomycin, altough after 3 days it died with its body covered with greyish fur(it looks like fungi hyphae imo), It was very sudden!

I just loved the experience so I decided to invest more but before doing so I wanted to know what went wrong. Can you guys help me diagnose what happened? I suspect it was some kind of saprolegnia spp. May i post its photo here? I'll try to get a microscope also with some dyes(hey i just love this!).

Thanks in advance

Hey I don’t know a right lot about Betts fish but I know a fair bit I had a male betta in a 5 gallon tank growing up and always got told that they can’t live with other fish which is mostly true but now in older and I have a love for fish I bought 3 female betas and 5 neon tetras ( I also got a bigger tank ) and the life of my male has improved dramatically he swims all day and looks a lot happier I’m not sure if this is the case but I would definitely get a bigger tank and I don’t know if u have a filter but I would get one if not as long as the flow isn’t too heavy. Thanks

Not sure what ultimately killed your fish, but no fish is going to be able to survive long term in a 2 litre tank.

All the treatments and medications in the world won't deal with that.

Back
Top Bottom