Betta Acting Strange-Laying On Bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
He's acting really lazy, lazier than a Betta should be.

He is kinda just lounging on the bottom of the tank-- a five gallon, filtered and temp at 78*F.

I had him in a temporary 3.5 with a filter but no heater, so I ended up getting the five because he couldn't wait for a divider in the ten.

I'm having to do a fish in cycle because it was urgent to get him moved. I did put the filter cartridge from his other tank in next to the new one to seed the tank. That'll help, I know.

I did a 50% water change when I saw him acting strange. It helped a bit. He swam around, curious, when I was doing the change, but then after the water settled down, he just kinda went back to the bottom.

Does this sound like it's just because of the cycle? Just keep up on PWC? I can't post my parameters because it's too late, but I'll get them up tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

I added him two days ago. I guess I'm just paranoid because he had been kinda bloated in the earlier tank. I just don't want to lose him, so I was freaking out trying to figure out was wrong. I'll let you know how he's doing in the morning.

allaboutfish said:
k if you still think he's bloated get some peas.

He looks fine now. I was gonna get some peas anyway when my mom had a chance to take me to the store. I'll see what happens.

Sometimes my bf's sister's betta, bo, lays around on the bottom. He did this more back before the tank was cycled and he was adjusting.

Now, he swims all about! I'm sure yours will, too. But I think that they still sometimes just sit around on the bottom.

Rosenweiss said:
Sometimes my bf's sister's betta, bo, lays around on the bottom. He did this more back before the tank was cycled and he was adjusting.

Now, he swims all about! I'm sure yours will, too. But I think that they still sometimes just sit around on the bottom.

Yeah. Allie, my Betta in a cycled tank, swims around, lounges in plants and occasionally sits on the bottom.

But this was more than usual it seemed. So, I think this is just an issue of a fish in cycle. (Again, wouldn't have done it if I hadn't have had to. The seed should help tremendously.)

So, I guess this will kind of turn into a journal of the Patriot Fish In Cycle. (Patriot is the bettas name.)

So I don't have anything to worry about unless I notice anything else wrong. I'll be sure to keep you updated. Thanks.

Yup. The seeded filter we added pretty much insta-cycled, haha.

My betta did that recently about 6 weeks ago then go fin rot and lost about half of its tailfin

Okay, so I did a 50% PWC and got ammonia to .25.

Patriot's acting the same. No better, no worse.

Today has been a terrible day. Among other frustrating and sad things, Patriot died today. I don't know what happened. He looked fine and the parameters were all in check. :'(

Well, at least now I can fishless cycle it and save another Walmart Betta. Hopefully this one will do better without the stress of a cycle and not doing well before that. RIP Patriot.

allaboutfish said:
aww. im so sorry. R.I.P Patriot! you should make a tribute thread with his pics.

I don't have any pictures. All of my pictures were from the app, so I just took them then, and it didn't save the pictures. :'(

I know. All this on Mother's Day. I lost my fishie son on Mother's Day!! And on my horse's Bday.

Bettababe1011 said:
Today has been a terrible day. Among other frustrating and sad things, Patriot died today. I don't know what happened. He looked fine and the parameters were all in check. :'(

Well, at least now I can fishless cycle it and save another Walmart Betta. Hopefully this one will do better without the stress of a cycle and not doing well before that. RIP Patriot.

:'( oh no!!! Poor patriot! At least allie's still going strong. (knock on driftwood!!!)

Homedog98 said:
:'( oh no!!! Poor patriot! At least allie's still going strong. (knock on driftwood!!!)

Yeah. Allie is doing great. Sigh. This will be hard to get over, but I have other bettas that need a mommy. But it's not replacing Patriot in my mind. No fish is alike, especially bettas.

keep you chin up. A know how u feel. Wen I lost my first Betta (sushi). I was real upset. Can felt like packing it all in. I'll get there bud.

wilmo said:
keep you chin up. A know how u feel. Wen I lost my first Betta (sushi). I was real upset. Can felt like packing it all in. I'll get there bud.

A betta named sushi! How Nice!

wilmo said:

I've had bettas for years but it never gets easier to lose a pet. Thanks though.

Back
Top Bottom